diy solar

diy solar

Charging Lithium with an Adjustable PS

DIYSolarPower

Charging lithium-ion question. I know I need to charge away from my house.

A certain scenario keeps nagging me. With respect to CC then CV charging, is it possible to do it manually if one has a PS that has adjustable voltage and current settings? I'm not saying I would do this, but if someone had no charger however did have an adjustable PS, would the following work? This scenario is just an example to explain what I mean.

Pack is: 12v, 20Ah, 3s

To charge with an adjustable PS, can AMPs be set to a constant 3 AMPs then set the voltage to 12v and let it charge to 12v
then bump up the voltage to 12.2 leave current at 3A and let it charge to 12.2 and
then bump up the voltage to 12.4 leave current at 3A and let it charge to 12.4 and
then bump up the voltage to 12.6 lower current to 1A and let it charge to 12.6.

Would that work? That's CC then CV.
The reason I ask if this is possible with a PS is because I see guys on YT feeding 12.6 volts into a lithium battery without any mention of CC then CV.

I realize batteries have different specs so in the above scenario, let's say the individual batteries in the pack can handle a 6A continuous charge.

There is no need to set all those voltage settings. Just set your final voltage before the battery is connected. When you attach the battery the voltage on the power supply will drop to the voltage of the battery. The voltage will automatically increase as the battery is charged. When the voltage reaches the setting the power supply will start reducing the current to keep the voltage at that setting. That is CCCV charging in a nutshell. The only thing the power supply won't do is shut off when current tapers off so you will manually have to turn it off or the battery will never settle to resting voltage.

Last edited:
Back