diy solar

diy solar

Charging my battery bank with AC charger

stratman

Ok, more newbie questions. I have my mobile solar system set up in a cargo trailer. It consists of 200 watts of panels connected to a 40amp MPPT solar charger connected to a 100AH deep cycle AGM battery. I'd like to be able to top my battery off on days with no sun using a AC smart charger powered from my Honda EU2200 generator. I'm hoping I can just clip a 10-15 amp smart charger onto the battery posts and run both the solar charger and AC charger simultaneously. Will this work, or will I need to disconnect the solar charger and panels from the battery when using the AC charger? Also, any suggestions on a good inexpensive AC charger would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any response!

BTW, Here's a pic of my set up as I was testing it out. It's now been installed out of the away with the monitor and wires all secured. I have a shunt and battery monitor yet to be installed. The DC load center has puck lights, max air fan and water pump attached. While I have a 2200 watts inverter installed, all the trailer AC outlets and air conditioner are powered thru a 35 amp AC breaker box powered from shore connection or my Honda generator, either of which I could use to power a small AC charger.

:sys.png

I have nearly an identical set up and have the same question - do we need to (or is it wise to) disconnect from the solar controller when using the AC charger? Thank you!

Is there a device that could be used with the Honda’s unregulated DC outlet?

There are some hobby battery chargers that are powered by 12VDC with a pretty wide input range (10-30V).

I have nearly an identical set up and have the same question - do we need to (or is it wise to) disconnect from the solar controller when using the AC charger? Thank you!

No. Very common to have a generator attached to an inverter/charger charging the batteries while the solar is running. No fundamental difference. While they will influence each other, they are both responding to battery voltage and adjusting their output as needed.

I have a similar question, I have my RV set up with 24v 200Ah lifepo4 with 1kW of solar. Generally the solar does keep the batteries full enough but I'd like to top them up fully when on hook up or if necessary from my portable jenny. Is it possible to use a standard lead acid 12v charger to the solar terminals of my 40A Epever MPPT charge controller? Alternatively I'm looking at a 20A 24v charger to reach 200Ah battery capacity.

diy solar

diy solar
Back