diy solar

diy solar

Charging new 12v batteries with 24v all in one?

BRegan87

I am a beginner building a small solar system to take some of my more critical household loads off grid. This will include two small chest freezers, an internet router, a security system and some lights.

I have a new MPP Solar LV2724-MR and 2 new Weize 100ah 12v LifePo4 Batteries. The manual for the batteries clearly states fully charging the batteries individually and than connecting them in parralel for a day to balance voltage.

Can I charge the batteries through the MPP for their first ever charge? Is it OK to charge 1 12v battery with the AC charge from a 24 volt system or will this cause damage? I hooked one battery to the system and plugged in AC power. The system booted on and showed input wattage around 120 watts.

I left it plugged in for 1 or 2 minutes before stopping to think I had only 12 volts of battery connected to a 24 volt system and disconnected the power. Have I made a big mistake or was this not a big deal?

I dont have a battery charger outside the one inside the MPP. Do I need to get one in order to charge my batteries properly being using them with the MPP?

If I can make due without an additional AC charger how should I go about prepping the batteries? Can I charge them together in series through the MPP or this not a good idea for the first charge?

Last edited:
Update. I couldnt find sufficient information to move forward comfortably soo I went ahead and bought a 12 volt smart battery charger.

This will eliminate any questions or concerns about adding new batteries to the system in the future as I can charge them individually

Back