diy solar

diy solar

Cheap amazon BMS

Emmanuelnlopez

What do you guys think of these cheapo BMS?
Get or pass?

context
I got some Ironworks batteries, and the BMS and one of them is fried. I'm gonna replace the BMS and thought it would be a considerable additional cost, but then I find these 5 dollar boards. The max discharge is 40A and max charge is 20A for the old BMS, do I have to find BMS that match these numbers?

Which other cheapo BMS are out there if these suck?

Nvm, I found some Daly.
I had not yet wielded my Google-fu.

Why does everybody here seem to like Daly so much? I'm doing it because imitation, but why?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S2LZC9V/ 30A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RXWV6PY/ 40A

JBD Equivalent

Last edited:
Why does everybody here seem to like Daly so much? I'm doing it because imitation, but why?
For a time in The Olden Days, Daly was about the only affordable option for BMS's that had any kind of reliability. Getting a JK or a JBD meant spending twice as much and waiting months for shipping from AliBabaXpress with the hopes it would work. Even @Will Prowse used them in some of his really early videos because it was what he could get.

Nowadays between 18650, Docan, Sirko, and many others you can get a good reliable JBD or JK for about the same price shipped from a US warehouse instead of a slow boat from China.

These are cheap enough to beat the hell out of them and make a video about it.
Daly has done much better job marketing their products than the other guys so they are more popular, but worst on paper.

Could always return it.
Or just try it because you already have it.

For a time in The Olden Days, Daly was about the only affordable option for BMS's that had any kind of reliability. Getting a JK or a JBD meant spending twice as much and waiting months for shipping from AliBabaXpress with the hopes it would work. Even @Will Prowse used them in some of his really early videos because it was what he could get.
In case anyone wasn't aware the HankzorBMS store does allow a faster shipping option for the JK BMS. Had ordered https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803533101482.html and chose the faster option (for extra shipping charge) and received it in the USA in exactly 7 days. 18650batterystore.com seems to keep being out of stock on the higher amp versions.

I have to admit, I bought a Daly 250 amp BMS as my first, and main, BMS. It's been 2 years now and it seems to be working fine. It's a "dumb " type BMS so all I know is that it hasn't shut down. I may replace it down the road but I'm kinda a, "if it ain't broke....." type person.
Yeah, me too. Mine was a 200A Smart BMS with Fan for my first build. I didn’t know all that much about BMSs. It too has been running flawlessly for the last 2.5 years so keeping my fingers crossed ?.
I did turn off the Daly balance circuit and add a 4S-5A Active Balancer which keeps cell Delta <0.01V. This on some resonable B+ grade cells. It took quite a few trips to this forum asking questions and more than just a couple of weeks to get the bloody thing working right! A big thank you to the gang here on diysolarforum.

On my second build I went with a 200A JBD and it took me all of about sixty seconds to get it going. No more Daly for me.

Back