diy solar

diy solar

48V 100Ah LiFePo4 - Be Careful Which One You Buy on Amazon!!!

JWLV

-.-. --.-
I just noticed a very disturbing trend. Some 48V 100Ah batteries that are sold on Amazon actually contain 15 cells instead of 16.

What does this mean? In general, when we talk about 12V batteries, we mean 12.8V. When we talk about 48V batteries, we mean 12.8v x 4 = 51.2V. That is the commonly accepted language when it comes to batteries. A typical 48V (51.2V) LiFePo4 battery has 16 cells in series, with each cell voltage at 3.2V nominal. So 3.2V x 16 = 51.2V. And 3.2V x 15 = 48.0V. This is where some manufacturers sneak in a "48V" battery that only has 15 cells. They save a few bucks by removing one cell. One cell is probably about $30, I estimate?

What happens when you get a "48V" 15-cell battery? Your solar charge controller's settings are going to be all wrong. A typical 16-cell battery should be charged at 54-56V. If you do that on a 15-cell battery, you'll likely cause the BMS to a over-voltage fault and disconnect. I'm not even sure if any charge controllers can be used on a 15-cell battery.

Here are a few that I saw on Amazon that look like they have 15 cells instead of 16.

Some of them even state "15pcs Grade A Prismatic Lifepo4 Cells".

Another thing is these "48V" batteries are usually mixed in with their 12V 100Ah, 12V 200Ah, and other varieties of batteries so their reviews and ratings are pretty high.

About a year ago I posted about a 15 cell on ebay.

I think it was westwoods, out of Colorado at the time.

And the pylontech 15 cell was discussed here :

This new trend of 15 cells is so wrong on many levels. I would hate to find out what would happen if someone connected a 15 cell battery in parallel with a bank of 16 cell batteries. Or even one 15 cell battery hooked up to a SCC with a standard LiFePo charge profile. I mean they are large batteries in the ballpark of 5000Whr. It’s a bad and dangerous mix.

Rather than "Be Careful Which One You Buy on Amazon", the cynic in me would say...

"Be Careful Buying any LiFePO4 battery racks from unheard of 3rd party resellers on Amazon"

or even...

"Don't Buy any LiFePO4 battery rack from an unheard of 3rd party reseller on Amazon"

Caveat Emptor.

This is not entirely new, games will be played on the unsuspecting. Sadly, there have been a few in here who either bought or built 15S packs, were told that it wasn't right and then Popped off in defensive mode, even when a manufacturer/vendor scammed them, they got mad at US not the offender.

Caveat Emptor.
A good reminder to ask questions before purchasing. A search on the forum pulls up a surprising number of threads on certain topics. Never hurts to see what others have encountered. The conversation mode is very handy as well when needed.

I got one of Amazons ads for this battery. Something seemed off so I deleted it. I didn't think much of the price either.

To be fair, systems operating under 50v nominal do not need external fire detection in certain circumstances for UL9540. This means in some cases our loved 16S modules push us 1.2v over the limit and now subject us to many more requirements to be code compliant. Furthermore, you can parallel 4 of the 4.8kWh modules (19.2kWh) and be closer to the 20kWh limit per ESS than with 3x 5.12kWh modules (15.3kWh). Just gotta set your equipment right although you probably are going to end up using communication anyway if you are going for UL compliance.

Homegrid is also 15S.

An easy way to tell the cell count is to look at the capacity. A 15S 100ah battery will be 4.8kWh while a 16S will be 5.1kWh.

Back