diy solar

diy solar

BMS recommendations for 16S 48V 100Ah LIFEPO4 setup for Ryobi Battery RB480E Mower replacement

t3l3c0mman

I have purchased (16) EVE Grade-A 3.2v LIFEPO4 batteries to replace (4) 12V lead acid batteries in my Ryobi RB480E battery mower, and am trying to get recommendations for a bluetooth equipped BMS that I can use to maintain the battery health. Do LIFEPO4 batteries need to be disconnected once charged to 100% to prevent overcharge or damage? I've seen some recommendations for JBD and JK brands from Aliexpress and some mixed reviews for Daly brand. Any assistance would be most appreciated. I'm currently considering the JBD 16S 100A 48V model # JBD-SP16S020 BMS, since it's manual gives wiring instructions. TIA.

Many thanks - so, a BMS rated for 300A will work with a 100Ah battery bank without issues, correct?
That should work, but you should make sure you know the maximum current the mower can draw to make sure the BMS is big enough.

Yes, you want to disconnect the battery when it is full, especially if you don't switch to a lithium charger.

That should work, but you should make sure you know the maximum current the mower can draw to make sure the BMS is big enough.

Yes, you want to disconnect the battery when it is full, especially if you don't switch to a lithium charger.
Thanking you - to preserve the battery, I will switch to a LIFEPO4 compatible charger, found some online that I believe even have the triangular connector I need (otherwise, I'll rewire the existing one to the new charger).

100Ah cells? Is that going to be enough? 300A BMS on 100Ah cells could allow for 3V discharge rate which is high.

100Ah cells? Is that going to be enough? 300A BMS on 100Ah cells could allow for 3V discharge rate which is high.
Hi SparkyJJO,

So far, after viewing 4 separate videos of this battery conversion from lead acid to LIFEPO4, all uploaders who have performed this conversion have used from 75Ah to 100Ah, gaining at least double the range/run-time. The current lead acid 4x12v are rated at 50Ah to 75Ah, depending on the version/country of the mower. Nonetheless, even in the event there are issues with these batteries, I have a secondary purpose that would not have me lose their value (instead of re-selling them at a loss). Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!

Back