diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest programmable charger?

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
Alright. I'm doing some budgeting here as a just in case scenario.

If my cells show up and they're particularly bad I would like to simply utilize them for my 12 volt backup sump pump (and then order some from amy). Since it needs to run pretty frequently if the power does go out, it would be nice to have the extra capacity.

That said, the pack will be sitting there largely unused for the vast majority of the time in this scenario so I'd like to keep the charge level as low as is practical. Even a 50% charge on a 280ah pack would be leagues better than the current battery it has.

My power goes out maybe once a year for any length of time.

Is there a decent programmable 120vac to 12v lithium charger that I can use to achieve a lower maximum charge with?

The ORION BMS JR 2 is not the cheapest, or even cheap. But it does have a java Windows app that will allow you to configure these parameters.

Here are some screenshots from a default non-configured installation.

Attachments

• CELL VOLTAGE.JPG
    CELL VOLTAGE.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 4
  • SOC SETTINGS.JPG
    SOC SETTINGS.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 4
The ORION BMS JR 2 is not the cheapest, or even cheap. But it does have a java Windows app that will allow you to configure these parameters.

Here are some screenshots from a default non-configured installation.
Isn't that a bms rather than charger?

Seems like I could just set my victron dc to dc to limit it to 13.2v or something similar and plug it in to a cheap dc power supply and save a whole lot of money.

For 400 bucks I could just use any charger on the market and just have the battery last a couple years less and it would be a lot more cost effective.

Am I missing a detail about the thing I want to do that necessitates that kind of investment?

You could use a regular charger with an over voltage protection relay that is powered by the battery and use the NO contact to switch the AC input to the charger,, this would provide programmable control so a budget20210725_132726-1.jpg

Back