diy solar

diy solar

China nuclear reactor problem?

The people in China who disclosed that allowed levels of radiation leaking from the plant were raised will be forced to issue statements of retraction.
Workers in the plant will be forbidden to wear protective gear, so as to not cause unnecessary panic.
New mutant strains of Covid will appear, initially in this area and then spread rapidly across the world. Radioactive Covid causes cancer!
The people who raised the alarm are not the Chinese, it's the French.
The Reactor was designed and is overseen by a French company (EDF). They are the ones that reported the problem of a gas build up in one of the reactors and a subsequent venting of the Gas. One reactor is running hotter than normal and they think it's due to a defective fuel rod. The worrying problem is that the Chinese refuse to shutdown the Reactor due to an existing heatwave and a power shortage that already exists in the area.

Last edited:
The people who raised the alarm are not Chinese, it's the French.
The Reactor was designed and overseen by a French company (EDF). They are the ones that reported the problem of a gas build up in one of the reactors and a subsequent venting of the Gas. One reactor is running hotter than normal and they think it's due to a defective fuel rod. The worrying problem is that the Chinese refuse to shutdown the Reactor due to an existing heatwave and a power shortage that already exists in the area.

Yes.
I was noting, however, that reportedly an adjustment to radiation monitoring levels was made by the Chinese. But I can't find direct mention of that adjustment, only an "accusation" the adjustment was made.

This wouldn't help supply chain/shipping issues if it gets worse:

Only 85 miles from Hong Kong.

Yikes!

More solar power please.
Having worked with the nuclear industry for much of my life one needs to realize that a plant which started life as a Westinghouse (aka Toshiba) build is now fully staffed and controlled by the Chinese. Even Japan listens to our NRC, especially after Fukushima. As far as I know China does not have a relationship to our NRC. A Nuke plant is as safe as the people who operating it. If they follow protocols they are safe. Bypass protocols (as the Russians did) and the result is catastrophic consequences. The US and French reactors have good safety records , there is zero global warming pollution and the power is available 24/7. Nuke plants remain the backbone of our power infrastructure in many states.

To people skilled in the art, a small amount of data reviewed from afar can be used to make a reliable diagnosis.
The Challenger space shuttle disaster would have been averted if they had paid heed to a call from an expert from the project, who contacted them to say temperatures were outside the range where it was safe to operate. (Within specifications, but outside what his studies indicated were OK.)

Sometimes, consequences and fears are overblown.

Now, we have an affiliated firm saying that measurements indicate failure of fuel rods:

'On Monday, French utility company EDF said in a statement it has been informed of an increased concentration of "noble gases in the primary circuit" of reactor number 1 of the Taishan nuclear power plant.
EDF said "the presence of certain noble gases in the primary circuit is a known phenomenon, studied and provided for in the reactor operating procedures," but did not elaborate on gas levels.
Later on Monday, a spokesperson for EDF said the increased levels of radiation were caused by a "degradation of the housing of the fuel rods."'

What people in charge consistently fail to face is that problems ignored grow much more severe, sometimes with catastrophic consequences.
Perhaps this will lead to complete failure of the reactor, major radiation release, decades of cleanup or burying the site. I don't know - it would depend on whether rods collapsing could interfere with regulation and cooling systems.

Hehehe that leak is nothing compared to the threat of Chinese product's spreading contamination from Chernobyl around the planet. Your batteries and phone may already glow.

Hehehe that leak is nothing compared to the threat of Chinese product's spreading contamination from Chernobyl around the planet. Your batteries and phone may already glow.

I have a fairly good consumer grade radiation detector and maybe twice a year I scan our food for radiation, especially canned seafood as I have no idea how much of this crap has leaked into the sea of Japan. I have never gotten any readings at all.
I kind of doubt that any radioactive metal has made it to the USA, I think they scan ship containers for radiation, but I am not sure if it would pick up very low levels or not.

I kind of doubt that any radioactive metal has made it to the USA, I think they scan ship containers for radiation, but I am not sure if it would pick up very low levels or not.

Won't pick up what doesn't penetrate container walls. Neutrons and gamma yes, alpha and beta no.

i would assume that the food would need to be opened and in direct view of sensor for there to be a chance of detecting the sort of weak signals being discussed (weak enough to pass customs in container, strong enough to harm if ingested)

even a piece of paper would stop most alpha particles from what i understand. consuming many alpha particle emitter can be harmful though.

2021 please chill

Back