diy solar

diy solar

Chinese Aliexpress/Amazon crimp terminals vs industrial terminals

MattiFin

Solar Enthusiast
For giggles I compared the 25mm2 terminals:

Aliexpress SC25-6: sleeve for wire: ID 7,36 mm and OD 9,00 mm, Wall thickness 0,82 mm
Industrial "tubular cable terminal" ID 6,98 mm OD 10,05 mm, wall thickness 1,54

For crimping I used Chinese HX-50B crimper https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hx-50b&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Aliexpress connector crimped with 25mm2 dies:
PXz5pCfl.jpg

Looks loose and almost falls off by itself, I could easily pull it out with 2-finger grip. No point of further testing.

Industrial one looks much better but still bit under-crimped to my eye:
4deCambl.jpg

In pull test can easily hold 80kg/ 180 lbs and would pass the tensile test requirements for UL485A and ABYC standards.

OK, the Aliexpress special was obviously loose crimp so lets try 16mm2 dies:
JqCg0Nnl.jpg

Ugly as hell but holds over 180 lbs in tensile test. With added leverage a Tug-of-war between terminals results in the "industrial" terminal to slip off the cable.
As a rough estimate this took over 300 lbs.

Second round with the "industrial" terminal crimped from 2 directions: Aliexpress special breaks off between the ring and the crimp sleeve.

My set was from aliexpress but similar kits are also available for example from Amazon:

What did we learn? Dunno about else but TEST your tool/crimp combination before use!

Quite often crimpers are either Metric or SAE and they do not criss-cross very well at all. So Metric for Metric Connectors & wire sizing and same for SAE. Some crimpers can provide dies for both Metric & SAE. Many people do not realize, Will has even pointed this out in a couple of his videos but seems no one pays attention to such details, well until they learn "the hard way".

Quite often crimpers are either Metric or SAE and they do not criss-cross very well at all. So Metric for Metric Connectors & wire sizing and same for SAE. Some crimpers can provide dies for both Metric & SAE. Many people do not realize, Will has even pointed this out in a couple of his videos but seems no one pays attention to such details, well until they learn "the hard way".
These were all Metric.
HX50-B crimper looks like exact copy of Klauke K05 crimper. I hope Chinese copied the die dimensions also from Klauke.

I bought an hydraulic crimper that had dies for both SAE and metric. Lugs were bought by AWG. No problems.

The lug in the first picture looks like it should have been crimped a second time, closer to the shoulder.

I bought an hydraulic crimper that had dies for both SAE and metric. Lugs were bought by AWG. No problems.

The lug in the first picture looks like it should have been crimped a second time, closer to the shoulder.
That what I would have done but Lug in the first picture was so loose that it almost fall off by itself after first crimp. Second crimp woudnt improve anything.

Aliexpress SC25-6: sleeve for wire: ID 7,36 mm and OD 9,00 mm, Wall thickness 0,82 mm

For crimping I used Chinese HX-50B crimper https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hx-50b&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

PXz5pCfl.jpg

Looks loose and almost falls off by itself, I could easily pull it out with 2-finger grip. No point of further testing.

4deCambl.jpg

In pull test can easily hold 80kg/ 180 lbs and would pass the tensile test requirements for UL485A and ABYC standards.

JqCg0Nnl.jpg

Ugly as hell but holds over 180 lbs in tensile test. With added leverage a Tug-of-war between terminals results in the "industrial" terminal to slip off the cable.

Second round with the "industrial" terminal crimped from 2 directions: Aliexpress special breaks off between the ring and the crimp sleeve.

My set was from aliexpress but similar kits are also available for example from Amazon:

What did we learn? Dunno about else but TEST your tool/crimp combination before use!
That crimper link doesn’t bring up any crimpers.

I need a little help with the instructions. Can anyone translate for me?
?‍♂️
View attachment 81130
Yes.
Crimp until it works and doesn't pull apart.
If that fails, try again.

If you desire better instructions, these are identical.

They do give better instructions for powerpole pins, but it is the same tool.

PXz5pCfl.jpg

4deCambl.jpg

JqCg0Nnl.jpg

Do you have any tips which cable lugs to get in Europe?

Do you have any tips which cable lugs to get in Europe?
Klauke is a common one if you are anywhere near Germany. Elpress & Ouneva here in Nordic.

First shop that I found on google: (klauke rohrkabelschuh)

Klauke is a common one if you are anywhere near Germany. Elpress & Ouneva here in Nordic.

First shop that I found on google: (klauke rohrkabelschuh)

Kiitos paljon! :)

The closest hard ware store with a decent product line I can get to from my off grid cabin is Ojanperä in Tornio. But I am in the Stockholm area right now.

Back