diy solar

diy solar

Coffee machine

Chaseflight

Hello everyone,
I’m a beginning to Solar and I could use some advice. I have 400 watt solar panel/200 ah Renogy gel battery, 2200 watt inverter and I want to know if I can use my coffee machine.
It’s 120 volt and use 700 watts but only runs for about 4-5 minutes. Can anyone offer some advice on if I should avoid this or only use it once my battery is at 100%

Fun with math:

700W * 5 min / 60 min/hr = 58.3Wh

200Ah * 12V = 2400Wh

Running your coffee machine for 5 minutes will use 58.3/2400 = 2.4% of your battery capacity.

It may cause you alarm as that is a high current load for a 200Ah gel battery, i.e., it may pull the voltage pretty low, but it will rebound with no worries.

The trick is to remember to turn it off.

If you have a quality battery monitor like Victron BMV or one that counts current, any SoC above 60% is fine. If you're relying on a voltage-based SoC, which is typical of charge controllers and inverter/chargers, I'd wait until the voltage is above 13.8V if it's still in bulk mode.

In general, It can work but you may find that when the battery is not fully charged - the voltage drop may be enough to shutdown the inverter.

Some of the voltage drop is from the resistance of the battery and some will be from the cables and connections. To help this, make the cables as big as possible and as short as possible. Cable choice is not always about 'ampacity', but in 12v world it is more about minimizing voltage drop under heavy loads. Connections should be clean, flat, with properly tightened fasteners.

At that point, the battery itself is the main limitation and the cables will be a negligible contributor. You limitation is less about the total capacity of the battery, but rather its internal resistance limiting the amount of current you can draw at various states of charge.

Back