diy solar

diy solar

Comparable Batteries

glennjr1

I would like to add a couple more batteries to my battery bank. Do I need to add Rich Solar 200 AH Lithium batteries, or can I add something else comparable to them?

I would presume if the AH's the same the cell count would be the same?
If it is the same voltage and nobody is inflating specs then yes. I would still verify what the voltage range is. The reason why this has to be stated is there is a "48V" server rack battery being sold that has only 15 cells in it instead of 16 like everyone else in order to be cheaper. People that don't know any better are buying it without realizing what they are getting.

My battery bank is 12 V.
If it is the same voltage and nobody is inflating specs then yes. I would still verify what the voltage range is. The reason why this has to be stated is there is a "48V" server rack battery being sold that has only 15 cells in it instead of 16 like everyone else in order to be cheaper. People that don't know any better are buying it without realizing what they are getting.
That's good to know. The number of cells will be stated on the specs information?

The number of cells should be stated on the info.
For LiFePo4 all 12v should be 4s, 24v 8s and 48v 16s but some sell a 15s 48v.

I'd use any since you're 12v.

Just make sure you connect appropriately.

The number of cells should be stated on the info.
For LiFePo4 all 12v should be 4s, 24v 8s and 48v 16s but some sell a 15s 48v.

I'd use any since you're 12v.

Just make sure you connect appropriately.
Does the AH have to be the same? Right now, I have 2 200 AH batteries. I want to install 2 more 200 AH batteries and if I am understanding this correctly, I will end up with 800 AH's. I will then have to increase cable size? Whereas if I only install 1 200AH battery my AH's will be 600 AH's so my cable will be, OK? I have 4/0 copper cable for battery connections and to the inverter.

Does the AH have to be the same? Right now, I have 2 200 AH batteries. I want to install 2 more 200 AH batteries and if I am understanding this correctly, I will end up with 800 AH's. I will then have to increase cable size? Whereas if I only install 1 200AH battery my AH's will be 600 AH's so my cable will be, OK? I have 4/0 copper cable for battery connections and to the inverter.
The variables that determine wire size are the length of the run and the amount of current that will travel through the wires. Amp Hours are a measurement of how much energy is being stored or used.

With more batteries you will be able to draw more current in total, but each battery will supply the same amount of current if wired correctly. So if you have a 100A load each of your 4 batteries will supply 25A.

One way to wire the batteries correctly is to have equal lengths of wire from the positive and negative terminal of each battery that run to a positive and a negative busbar. Then those busbars are connected to another busbar where loads are distributed, perhaps with a breaker or disconnect switch in-between. This is a cursory explanation, more research is warranted on your part. There are different methods and different people will have different things to say about it.

Does the AH have to be the same?
No.
Right now, I have 2 200 AH batteries. I want to install 2 more 200 AH batteries and if I am understanding this correctly, I will end up with 800 AH's.
Correct, since they are in parallel.
I will then have to increase cable size?
Potentially, see Reed's reply above.
Whereas if I only install 1 200AH battery my AH's will be 600 AH's so my cable will be, OK? I have 4/0 copper cable for battery connections and to the inverter.
If you plan to frequently come close to the ampacity of 4/0 with a 12v system, I'd upgrade to a 48v system...

Back