diy solar

diy solar

Conduit Layout and Wire Sizing

jmoles

I have 3 circuit branches and solar panels on 4 different roof sections.

I'm trying to plan out the details of the junction boxes, conduit runs, and wire transitions and could use some help!

Attached are a few images showing what I was initially thinking with the conduit runs.

The junction boxes would transition from the 10 gauge tray cable to 10 gauge thwn-2. Each branch would have 3 wires so the total would be 9 wires, 6 that are conducting (the other 3 would be ground)

Branch 1 & 2 are on a 30 amp breaker. Branch 3 is on a 15 amp breaker.

Any problems with this setup? Or perhaps any way to make it better?

Attachments

• conduit-3.jpg
    conduit-3.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 14
  • conduit-side-house.jpg
    conduit-side-house.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 13
  • conduit-2.jpg
    conduit-2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14
I don't have too many concrete suggestions. But you should check with your AHJ / fire marshal on how they want the conduit to be run. Some of them have opinions (mine does, though somewhat subject to interpretation)
The junction boxes would transition from the 10 gauge tray cable to 10 gauge thwn-2. Each branch would have 3 wires so the total would be 9 wires, 6 that are conducting (the other 3 would be ground)
You should be able to splice grounds together in conduit bodies (if that special case helps), and for sure in the junction box. After splicing they will be #10.

I've considered using AlumiConns as cheap small screw terminal splices that can hold up to #10, in fact I have extras that I've been meaning to replace wirenuts with. I thought they were wet rated but I can't find info confirming that now. The construction SHOULD be the same as other wet rated stuff.

Yes they say Aluminum Copper, but no reason you can't use them for Copper Copper (how would it know, lol).

Back