diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus II Wiring Question

gabe1475

Have a question on the wiring for my Multiplus II 3000(AC Side) which will be installed in a tiny house. I have read multiple forums and watched every youtube video out there, but seems like there is not a one approach concensus. Wire size will be 6/3 per manual.

- I have seen romex used including a video by Current Connected and that may be the best option, though not sure that romex would give the cleanest appearance coming from the unit.
- lots of folks using SOOW wire, my only issue there is running from the unit to my breaker which would be behind sheetrock and not sure it is rated for that
- also see some using conduit and 6 gauge thhn, however 3/4 conduit would be needed and as another user pointed out one of the holes is too big where the others are too small to use 3/4 conduit.

With that was wondering if it would be ok to wire the multiplus with the SOOW and switch to romex in a junction box. I know functionally it would work, but wanted to make sure I am not ignoring any safety issues.

Other option would be to use 3/4conduit through the rubber gromets (secured to the wire clamp in the multiplus) so I can use 6 awg THHN all the way without a junction box. I am assuming I could clamp the conduit where you could not pull out, though I would need to test that.

Appreciate any feedback.

With that was wondering if it would be ok to wire the multiplus with the SOOW and switch to romex in a junction box. I know functionally it would work, but wanted to make sure I am not ignoring any safety issues.
This is the best solution.

Other option would be to use 3/4conduit through the rubber gromets (secured to the wire clamp in the multiplus) so I can use 6 awg THHN all the way without a junction box. I am assuming I could clamp the conduit where you could not pull out, though I would need to test that.
You can remove the clamps and connect the conduit right to the hole. It may require using a step-drill bit to open the holes a smidge.

BTW if it's not the 2x120v model, you can use two 6AWG L/N conductors and a 10AWG ground and that will fit legally (and relatively easily) into a 1/2" conduit.

it is the regular

You can remove the clamps and connect the conduit right to the hole. It may require using a step-drill bit to open the holes a smidge.

BTW if it's not the 2x120v model, you can use two 6AWG L/N conductors and a 10AWG ground and that will fit legally (and relatively easily) into a 1/2" conduit.
it is the 1x120v model. Appreciate you mentioning that I probably would have went with 6awg for the ground. sounds like this will give me another good option. Thanks again.

Also Not planning on using Ferrules, I know everyone has opinions on that as well. Would that change the direction you would go in? have read about too many issues with using those.

Also Not planning on using Ferrules, I know everyone has opinions on that as well. Would that change the direction you would go in? have read about too many issues with using those.
Nope. I didn’t use them in my install.

Victron says to use ferrules...but I got an RMA back last week where someone couldn't get the terminal to hold their wire and upon taking it apart on my test bench, I found that there was the metal sleeve of a ferrule stuck in the terminal. Go figure.

Just make sure you strip back enough insulation, insert it fully while opening the terminal with a tool (like our video). With SOOW cord, you aren't just going to push it into the terminal and get a solid connection without opening up the terminal first.

Victron says to use ferrules...but I got an RMA back last week where someone couldn't get the terminal to hold their wire and upon taking it apart on my test bench, I found that there was the metal sleeve of a ferrule stuck in the terminal. Go figure.
I looked for references to ferrules in the Multiplus 2 120 manual and these are the only instances I found.

1701957544637.png

Back