diy solar

diy solar

CONEXT SW 4048 - Possible to use this with the grid?

Success! We had a power outage this evening. My system wasn't completely finished, but the last bit - an "A/B" power switch (manual transfer switch) came from Amazon a few minutes after the outage began, so I quickly wired it in. I turned off the main breaker and routed the inverter output to the main panel. Voila... power to the house, AND working solar in the waning light. Regular loads drew 8 amps from each of two 48V batteries - that included fridge, freezer, TV, desktop computer, and a few lights. I should get about 12 hours at that rate, but the sun will be up again in fewer. Anyway, the power came back on at 11pm.

So.... the next question (which I'll try in a different thread, but launch here) - has anybody got ANY idea if it's possible to automate a main breaker without switching out the breaker panel? I'm trying to keep this simple, and my breaker panel is integrated with the meter and installed flush in an exterior wall. Removing it would involve removing a lot of siding and a ton of other work which isn't worth it - but it sure would be nice if I could set up the main breaker to switch off when the power goes down. The point, of course, is to protect the utility workers from any current generated by the backup or solar during an outage. Anybody got any suggestions? The panel is a Square D Homeline with a QOM2 main breaker.

but it sure would be nice if I could set up the main breaker to switch off when the power goes down.
Most manufacturers do offer remote trip/shunt trip breakers for their panels. Of course its One Way. Once the breaker trips, it has to be reset manually. They are usually offered with a few options regarding the coil voltage. Unfortunately, the SW4048 may not have an appropriate trigger setting that would allow you to use the built in Aux Relay that outputs 12V.
Also keep in mind, some remote trip breakers may be set up to only accept a momentary pulse but not continuous power which will overheat the trip coil. While some brands have an internal disconnect such that once the breaker trips the coil no longer can receive current even when the trip signal is still present.

So.... the next question (which I'll try in a different thread, but launch here) - has anybody got ANY idea if it's possible to automate a main breaker without switching out the breaker panel?
Its called an automatic transfer switch. Its one of those things you want to buy and install instead of DIY your own solution because of libility. Going to be a really bad day for you when your DIY solution fails, kills someone and your on the hook for it. Ant worth the $500-$1000

If you can add a separate box, close to the panel. (Either outside or inside) you can add an automatic transfer switch. Or just use a reversing contactor.

Thanks all for the replies. I found the shunt-trip breaker info immediately after making my post. The QOM2 breaker is available with the trip installed special order from the factory - I'm going to check into it. I can certainly rig a short-term pulse to trip it, but I'll have to see what the custom breaker costs - it may not be worth it. Manually setting up my backup currently involves shutting off the main breaker and rotating my AB switch (manual transfer switch). That's not very onerous, and it's pretty foolproof. Incidentally, Schmism, I wouldn't be using an automated transfer switch to shut the main breaker - I have no ability to intervene between the meter and the main breaker, and could only swap the main breaker for another QOM2 style breaker (like a shunt-trip). I'm not too worried about screwing up - I built the house myself, including all wiring (including the service entry and main panel), and designed and installed the solar array, all with permits and under substantial scrutiny of the building department.

As a follow-up for anybody finding this thread - It turned out I was NOT getting anything from my Solar (Enphase M215's) when I went off grid - just a bit of residual ghost power late in the evening. When I carefully tested the system today I was shutting off all the inverters when I went off grid, due primarily to voltage out of range. I could not see significant over-voltage (it appeared to be fairly steady at 130V on one leg and 125v on the other) However, I realized that the M215's have profile options which would allow upping the voltage limits. You can't set these without a "Change token", which as a user you can't get. However, after a few long phone calls to India the nice lady agreed to install the most flexible profile on my inverters, called "SAM-60-120-1304 ver. 2". It allows up to 141V per leg. Although I wasn't seeing these voltage variations I guess they were there, 'cause when the new profile was installed all the inverters came online. Magic. It's now 6pm and I'm cranking 30+ amps into each 48v battery and powering the whole house, including two room air conditioners. This with the panel isolated from the grid by the main breaker. FWIW the Schneider SW4048 works perfectly, without all the peripheral stuff they were trying to sell me (though I have an Insight Home device on its way). I'm not sure if the battery monitor would have been able to see my EG4 batteries, but without the monitor the Schneider inverter can still ramp charging rates based on the battery voltage it sees (and the battery's BMS also manages charge rates) - and that's good enough for an occasional backup application.

Back