diy solar

diy solar

Configuring Victron BMV-712?

jdege

I'm setting up a new Epoch 48V 105Ah battery, with Epoch's charger, and a Victron BMV-712 shunt and battery monitor.

Epoch 48V 100Ah heated bluetooth LiFePO4 battery

The BMV has a whole bunch of configurable settings. So far all I've changed is the max Ah capacity, the rest are unchanged.

Any suggestions as to what settings I should use?

I have the shunt only, but I assume it is the same. The only other settings I changed are the Discharge Floor (for calculating remaining time) and the Bluetooth password.

I believe the Peukert info is primarily for Lead Acid batteries. It is my understanding that for lithium, the factor is closer to 1.0. Check with the battery manufacturer. But Ill leave it here for those that come across this in a search:

Im no expert, but the BMV is essentially amp counter. You want as many parameters as possible that are specific to your battery loaded into the settings. Some of the readings the BMV gives are derived from calculations based amps, voltage and details on your specific battery. What Im getting at is I would recommend setting the Peukert Exponent, and over time adjusting the Charge Efficiency. The SoC, over time and charge cycles, will drift in its accuracy and will need to be reset. All battery monitors do this. But you can minimize the drift with accurate data loaded in.

From the Goog- The Peukert constant k (≥ 1) provides an indication of the internal resistivity and therefore of the power capability of the cell. The smaller the value of k, the higher the power capability.

Any reputable battery manufacturer can provide this info, and it should be in the spec sheet for your batteries.

Last edited:
I contacted the manufacturer and sent them a screen shot of the configuration page and they sent me a set of recommended values.

Posting the settings info would be helpful for others in this search
So it would.
  • Battery capacity: 105Ah
  • Charged voltage: 56.8~58.4V (58.4 is max voltage at full charge)
  • Discharge floor: 20%
  • Tail current: 1~3%
  • Charged detection time: 3m
  • Peukert exponent: 1.05
  • Charge efficiency factor: 99%
  • Current threshold: 0.1A
  • Time-to-go averaging period: 3m

Back