diy solar

diy solar

Confused about passthrough charging and constant load

metalheaddoc

I am looking into a midrange solar generator system like an AC200Max and about 1kw in panels. (I am not confident in my handyman skills to try and make a system from scratch, not withstanding the many available YouTube tutorials including Will's ) My purpose is having emergency power for a freezer (Kill-a-watt says about 1.7kw a day) and charging small electronics like phones and radios and flashlights. And charging batteries for power tools as needed (Small ones are 20v 5mAh and the larger ones are 80v 2.5 mAh) I am thinking more in terms of forever power like a SHTF EMP collapse/end of the electrical grid. I get the impression that many midrange systems are more for temporary situation like camping or short term emergency power. I am also led to believe that battery life will be hampered by simultaneous charging and discharging on a constant basis. (Am I incorrect on this?)

My questions are:

Can I leave solar panels plugged in constantly and continually change the generator and run the freezer and small electronics 24/7? Or will this prematurely wreck the battery/generator?

What happens to the excess solar power if the generator is fully changed? Does it get wasted or does it pass through to the AC and DC outputs? Is this what is meant by pass through charging? I figure that overpanelling the AC200Max at 1kW will leave leftover power after the 2048 Wh battery is charged. (I live in Missouri, BTW)

If the AC200Max (or similar midrange gen) won't fill my needs for constant long-term electricity, what would you recommend in light of my non-handiness and mechanical ineptitude?

Thanks for your help, gang.
Jason

Simultaneous charging and discharging is a bit of a misnomer. Any charging will go to the loads directly. If there is additional charging power available and the battery is not full the battery will be charged at the same time. If there is not enough charging power available to power the loads then the battery will provide the needed power. So the battery is either charging or discharging, never both so to speak.

Once the battery is charged and the loads are light the power from the panels is throttled down and unused as there is no place to put the energy. Think of a wall outlet providing 1 amp to a light.... the remaining 14 amps just stays in the outlet un-utilized. Nothing spills out or heats up.

Go ahead and use the battery/generator full time initially as a proof of concept. Can adjust in the future for just plug in during an emergency or even go through a transfer switch for automatic switching to the battery/generator.

Eventually a larger home system could be put together once the limitations of this initial system is known.

Back