diy solar

diy solar

Connect a SP6548 to a 30amp RV??

TheGreatHurlyBurly

Hello, I'm new here so if this has been discussed somewhere please point me in that direction.

I have a RV with a 30amp shore power outlet for my generator/grid access. I recently purchased a SP6548 offgrid kit from sungoldpower. It's got it's own 5.12kwh battery and 1500w of panels...
Can I wire the AC output on the inverter to a 30a plug?

The RV is 24v and I dont want to dig into the RV and change much, it's old and only a temporary living situation while I build my offgrid cabin. I bought the solar system for the cabin but thought it might be able to supply AC power for the RV the way my generator does.

Attachments

• 20230818_113947.jpg
    20230818_113947.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here so if this has been discussed somewhere please point me in that direction.

I have a RV with a 30amp shore power outlet for my generator/grid access. I recently purchased a SP6548 offgrid kit from sungoldpower. It's got it's own 5.12kwh battery and 1500w of panels...

The RV is 24v and I dont want to dig into the RV and change much, it's old and only a temporary living situation while I build my offgrid cabin. I bought the solar system for the cabin but thought it might be able to supply AC power for the RV the way my generator does.
I just did this in my RV, well, actually still setting it up. However what I did was to run the whole trailer off the SP6548 inverter to the trailer converter. The cable for the former input on the trailer is running straight to the utility input of the SP6548 and output to the original trailer converter. Disconnect the battery charger for the trailer battery or it will cause all kinds of issues. You can look up a conversation on how to rewire the original trailer battery wiring to utilize the lifepo4 batteries in place of the original trailer battery. Or you can get a new trailer converter that has a lithium battery charger and replace the lead acid battery with lifepo4 battery. I'm going to put a switch in so when I have to move the trailer (rare) I can turn the solar system off and then flip that switch to use the lead acid battery. It's a cheap way to do it. Just don't have it on with solar system on. Everything in the trailer works like it should wiring it the way I did.

Yep, you can do exactly how you have it drawn out.

I just did this in my RV, well, actually still setting it up. However what I did was to run the whole trailer....
I think I decided to go this route. Im going to wire the generator to the AC input in the inverter and the AC output to one of these.... Midwest 30/20 amp panel https://a.co/d/3ilcuwU.

My understanding is that this will pass through the inverter and charge the 48v battery in the process. The RV uses a maximum 3600 watts(120v x 30a) my generator outputs 5300 watts, the inverter is 6500 watts. So in theory I should be able to use solar until the battery gets low then charge the RV and batteries at the same time with the generator.

Right? Lol I'm a total newbie at this.

Might be better to use a Chargeverter from the generator, it would depend on how clean the power is from your generator.

I think I decided to go this route. Im going to wire the generator to the AC input in the inverter and the AC output to one of these.... Midwest 30/20 amp panel https://a.co/d/3ilcuwU.

My understanding is that this will pass through the inverter and charge the 48v battery in the process. The RV uses a maximum 3600 watts(120v x 30a) my generator outputs 5300 watts, the inverter is 6500 watts. So in theory I should be able to use solar until the battery gets low then charge the RV and batteries at the same time with the generator.

Right? Lol I'm a total newbie at this.
Remember though to disable the original trailer battery or it will backfeed through the trailer converter. I am in the process of setting up a switch to disable the battery when parked, then once the solar and batteries are shut down I can flip the switch to turn the 12v battery back on. It doesn't get moved much though.

Remember though to disable the original trailer battery or it will backfeed through the trailer converter. I am in the process of setting up a switch to disable the battery when parked, then once the solar and batteries are shut down I can flip the switch to turn the 12v battery back on. It doesn't get moved much though.
Do I still need to do that if the inverter battery and the trailer batteries are not connected? The inverter and its 48v battery only interacts with the trailer at the 30amp plug. The trailer has it's own 12v batteries for lights and whatnot but should act as though it's on shore power when connected to the inverter.

Do I still need to do that if the inverter battery and the trailer batteries are not connected? The inverter and its 48v battery only interacts with the trailer at the 30amp plug. The trailer has it's own 12v batteries for lights and whatnot but should act as though it's on shore power when connected to the inverter.
Whenever the solar is connected you should at least pull the fuse for the trailers 12v battery charger.
The way I wired mine it runs everything off solar, batteries or utility.

Back