diy solar

diy solar

Connect ANL fuse on battery terminal

MartinBe

Can one directly connect a fuse to the terminal of a LiFePO4 battery?

I intend to attach the battery wire to the terminal end of the ANL fuse and utilize the remaining bolt for other connections.

Battery-Fuse-Wires.jpg

You can do it with a MRBF fuse and fuse block. You can't do it safely with any other setup. If you must use an ANL you need a short cable between the post and the ANL fuse holder. The MRBF WITH holder is a better choice. Given how many lugs and rings you have I would get the double post one.

Then use two fuses of the appropriate size. One for the charger and panels if you have them and one for the load

There is NO fuse you can safely connect directly to the post without a holder.

Last edited:
You can do it with a MRBF fuse and fuse block. You can't do it safely with any other setup. If you must use an ANL you need a short cable between the post and the ANL fuse holder. The MRBF WITH holder is a better choice.

There is NO fuse you can safely connect directly to the post without a holder.
Correct, the ANL fuse cannot take cable strains on its own.

FWIW, the Blue Sea heavy duty ANL fuse holder is probably the best quality I have seen for those.

Note, the blue sea holder will take the buss and other brands. Some of the cheap knock off ones will only take their knock off brand fuses.

remaining bolt for other connections.
You need a main fuse, MRBF with holder as discussed rated at 125% to 150% of maxinum expected current.

Screenshot_20240121-202326_Chrome~2.jpg
You need additional fuses, as close as possible, rated for the current in each of the positive cables. Using buss bars is recomended.
Screenshot_20230905-200359_Chrome~2.jpg

Simple circuit diagram, shunt optional. Note isolation battery switch , if fitted, should be after the main fuse, not as shown on the diagram.

You need a main fuse, MRBF with holder as discussed rated at 125% to 150% of maxinum expected current.

View attachment 195414
You need additional fuses, as close as possible, rated for the current in each of the positive cables. Using buss bars is recomended.
View attachment 195413

Simple circuit diagram, shunt optional. Note isolation battery switch , if fitted, should be after the main fuse, not as shown on the diagram.
From BlueSea:
Optional available fuses: BS5190 (300A), BS5189 (250A), BS5187 (200A), BS5185 (150A), BS5183 (100A), BS5177 (50A)
Minimum fuse are 50A.

As a main fuse on the battery it would be 125% to 150% of current from the battery or on usage? Battery is 100AH with Max. Continuous Discharge Current 100A. Does it mean the fuse require to be 125A to 150A or on my usage?

Battery is 100AH with Max. Continuous Discharge Current 100A. Does it mean the fuse require to be 125A to 150A or on my usage?
What is your expected current in your system, if its under 40 amps use a 50 amp fuse, under 75 amps a 100 amp fuse. If you intend using the battery at maximum, a 150 amp fuse. Although the battery is limited to 100amps, should the internal BMS develop a fault, this limit is no longer valid and your battery could deliver up to 7000 amps. This the need for a fuse type that will withstand the possible very high current and break the connection to the rest of the system

On my UPS for the CPAP I have the double holder. I use an 80 amp for the post connected to the charger and 1000w inverter, this wire is 6awg welding wire rated 105c. On the othe post is a 30 amp connected to two 12v outlets and a USB block. All of those wires are 10awg stranded. I didn't need a big fuse panel or more connections.

Note: some discussion expected, but I did use washers on the fuse below the lugs. The are pure copper that I polished and applied no-ox to. The lug and loop faces just didn’t sit wide enough to have good contact. They are 20mm x 8mm x 2mm washers I got at the local hardware store.

Last edited:
Back