diy solar

diy solar

Connected to a barn

ecrowley

Hello, I would like to connect a solar/wind power system to an existing fuse box in a barn. The barn is wired for electric, however, it is not connected to the power grid. A few years ago a logging truck tore out the power lines. It would be cheaper to use a stand alone solar / wind system to power the barn, than to connect to the grid (which is over 1,000 feet away and would require the power company installing new poles). What would it take to connect the solar / battery system to the existing fuse box, is this even possible?

Hello, I would like to connect a solar/wind power system to an existing fuse box in a barn. The barn is wired for electric, however, it is not connected to the power grid. A few years ago a logging truck tore out the power lines. It would be cheaper to use a stand alone solar / wind system to power the barn, than to connect to the grid (which is over 1,000 feet away and would require the power company installing new poles). What would it take to connect the solar / battery system to the existing fuse box, is this even possible?
Sure it’s possible.

Question becomes what do you want to power in the barn?
A few lights or are you milking 100 cows a day?

Did the power company give you a Quote to put power in?

Sure it’s possible.

Question becomes what do you want to power in the barn?
A few lights or are you milking 100 cows a day?

Did the power company give you a Quote to put power in?
It is a lambing barn, so just lights, and potentially a few heat lamps. The quote from the power company is around $5,000 just to bring power to the barn.

I doubt you can build a system for $5000 that can run heat lamps all night.

As for connecting to the existing breaker/fuse panel, it isn't much different from connecting to the grid ... inverter out goes into the panel.

You will need panels to go with this...

Back