diy solar

diy solar

Connecting two Yeti 1000 in parallel to the Home Integration Kit

myk110

I have two Yeti 1000s, I would like to use them in parallel with the home integration kit to combine the capacity of both for backup power to my home during an outage, without having to manual switch from one to the other, when the first one runs out of juice.

What would happen if I make/use a combiner cable to combines outputs from both units and connect as one input into the integration breaker unit?

Any / all ideas and suggestions are welcome ? I don't want to buy Yeti expansion tanks. I am trying to use what I have rather than put in a lot more money into this.

Thanks!

I have two Yeti 1000s, I would like to use them in parallel with the home integration kit to combine the capacity of both for backup power to my home during an outage, without having to manual switch from one to the other, when the first one runs out of juice.

What would happen if I make/use a combiner cable to combines outputs from both units and connect as one input into the integration breaker unit?

Any / all ideas and suggestions are welcome ? I don't want to buy Yeti expansion tanks. I am trying to use what I have rather than put in a lot more money into this.

Thanks!
Please clarify.
Are you asking if you can parallel the AC output of the two Yeti together? If that is correct then it cannot be done, to combine two AC power sources into one the two unit must have circuit to synchronize the AC output of both unit otherwise you will blow up the units.

Thank you for your response @Bud Martin !

Would you please advise on how I can do this?
"to combine two AC power sources into one the two unit must have circuit to synchronize the AC output of both units"

I am a novice, and would like to learn.

Thank you for your response @Bud Martin !

Would you please advise on how I can do this?
"to combine two AC power sources into one the two unit must have circuit to synchronize the AC output of both units"

I am a novice, and would like to learn.
It cannot be done, Yeti 1000s is not designed with paralleling the AC output capability in mind. I do not see anything on GoalZero website that can do that function, it will cost more and not many people want that function, if they want more run time then they add more battery capacity, you parallel AC output to get more power from the inverter of the Yeti's but will not increase the run time.
If I read your first thread correctly, you want to have 'Home integration kit' to manually change over from utility power to #1 Yeti when power goes out, then automatically switch over to #2 Yeti when #1 Yeti runs out off battery, correct?
You are not using the 'Home integration kit' right now, correct?
How are you powering your home during power outage using the Yeti right now?

@Bud Martin :

1. If I get more output from the inverter by paralleling, wouldn't it subsiquently prolong run time?
2. Why do I need to synchronize AC output from two identical sources, where both should thereotically have exact same output?

If I don't combine output from both Yeti's, but only use the home integration kit, I will need to manually switch from Yeti #1 to Yeti #2, when the Yeti #1 is out of juice. Futhermore, since Yeti 1000 is only 1500 watts, I won't be able to use refrigerator or other high power devices. So the other advantage I see in paralleling is, as you mentioned, the output will increase, so I can feed more breakers or use high power devices.

The home integration kit will not solve any of these problems, it's only a mechanism to connect the Yeti's to my home breaker. I am not using home integration kit right now, as I am not using my Yeti's for home backup power right now.

Thanks!

The other alternative if you can - is to split the loads between the 2. Power 1/2 of the loads (circuits) with one yeti and 1/2 with the other - e.g. keep the circuits/loads separate and then you don't need to 'combine' the AC output from both.

I do this in my off-grid home setup. I have dual (independent) inverters for double the overall power. However, each inverter powers it's own set of circuits in the house so that the overall load is split between the 2.

Thank you for your input @OffGridInTheCity !

That was going to be my worst case option, in case I don't find a solution to combine them. The problem in doing so is that if I am I don't know what breakers I am going to be needing more when the power goes out, because it would depend on that time the power goes out and/or other factors. And it may still require manual switching from one unit to the other.

Also, if I do that (separate circuits), I am going to need 2 separate home integration kits, and they're $250 each. Could be a better way to connect them in separate circuits?

Not sure of your situation / DIY comfort level. For 120v @ 30a (e.g. 20a circuits) I use Go-Power ATSs to consume inverter (yeti) power like this - https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-30-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B00153EYTO/ref=sr_1_1 This would require routing grid to one of the inputs and a plug to plug into a yeti for the other input and the output to the circuit you want to power.

Not pushing either - just trying to help you explore options.

Also, if I do that (separate circuits), I am going to need 2 separate home integration kits, and they're $250 each. Could be a better way to connect them in separate circuits?
Why don't you just plug in the 1st yeti and when it runs down, plug in the 2nd yeti?

Alternately, you could use an ATS - https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-30-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B00153EYTO/ref=sr_1_1 - and plug in 1 yeti to shore power side and the 2nd yeti to generator side (of the ATS) and the output of the ATS to the home installation kit (MTS). When the grid side yeti runs down/shuts-off, it will auto-switch to the 2nd yeti. You can set the MTS to Line (Grid) to avoid drawing power from the Yetis until you need to.

Why don't you just plug in the 1st yeti and when it runs down, plug in the 2nd yeti?
For two reasons:
1. I am hoping to combine outputs from both and get a bigger output to be able to use some high power appliances, etc.
2. I am trying to avoid having to manually switch from one unit to the other.

ATS sounds like a better alternative than having to manually switch. I will explore that further. Thank you @OffGridInTheCity !!

Back