diy solar

diy solar

Considering large AH, Seplos battery DIY - feedback?

chrisstratton

In Looking for a good 24v high ah battery, and someone had suggested Seplos DIY. I had built a 3.6KW-h with 8 cells from battery evo and some chinese BMS - it worked well.

I appears one buys the KIT from AliExpress (or Seplos), and the cells locally. I'm thinking of 304ah, as I'm pretty sure I could use twice the ah as the 3.6KW-h, or more.

Any thoughts on this plan - or is the cost difference slight between a Seplos and some similar off the shelf unit? I would like a shut off on the battery, as well as low temp protection and the option to add another battery in parallel, should the need arise.

Your feedback would be appreciated. Chris

From what I understand the Seplos and similar EEL kits are decent value now that the teething troubles have passed. I am looking at the Seplos 280 upright case. Andy from the Off-Grid garage has a bunch of videos on the various Seplos and EEL kit. They come with their own Seplos BMS which is well regarded. Other brands may use the Seplos or similar Pace BMS. They do not have active balancing. Seplos cases come with the BMS but I found quite a few clones where you can add your own BMS.

The only weakness with the case I think they found was that the back of the case has a pair of rib rather than a solid backing so you cannot compress the cells that well. A few people mod the case with an additional aluminum plate.

As for price for DIY vs buying something like an EG4 PowerPro it depends how cheap you can find the cells and how much you like the warranty.

Back