diy solar

diy solar

Controller doesn't show load.

Chrismike

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb... Here is how I have everything wired currently. I can run the inverter and DC appliances (test with lamp and MaxFan running at mid-speed) and I can see the battery percentage decrease. However, the load light stays off and the load reading shows 0.00.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_201949.jpg
    IMG_20191124_201949.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
The solar controller is only receiving power from the battery. There is no load connected to the controller load terminals.
I use these in our system to turn the RV entry stairs LED lighting. (Small load, 800ma @ 12VDC)

I use a Trimetric battery monitor to observe what is going on with the battery current & voltage wise. It reads data generated from a 500 amp shunt in the negative cable.
Your normal DC load distribution must not come from the solar charge controller.

I’m confused here?What purpose is the CC serving? Are you just using it for a meter? It looks like there’s no PV wiring coming in to it to charge the battery? Just battery cables to charge controller and fuses to inverter.

That charge controller will only display 12 volt loads directly from the charge controller, NOT from your battery bank. The load terminals are on the right.

Thanks for all the replies!

@MrNatural22, good question and apologies for the confusion - hadn't run the cables to the panels yet, was just testing at this point.

So to summarize, I won't be able to read the load on the controller unless connected to the controller's load terminals. and usage of the load terminals should be avoided for anything other than a small load. I'll look into a battery monitor. Thanks again!

diy solar

diy solar
Back