diy solar

diy solar

Cordless power tool inverters with automatic turn-on?

cadcoke5

I am shopping for an inverter that will work with one of the cordless power tool batteries. E.g. the DeWalt and Milwaukee batteries have a direct connection to the battery, rather than one of the smart batteries that handshake with the power tool. I realize that these have limited wattage, but I am primarily using them for led lighting. So wattage needs are small.

The existing ones I have seen all require that you turn on the inverter, and then will automatically shut down if you don't draw any power for a few minutes. I realize that this is because it is constantly drawing power from the battery, even if there is no load on the 120vAC outlet. I know some household inverters can sense if something is wanting to power up on the 120vAC, and so doesn't draw as much current from the battery when the 120vAC isn't being used. And I realize that type of system does need some power to operate the electronics. But, such stand-by current really could theoretically be in the micro-amps range.

Does such a system exist that will snap on to the power tool battery? If I get my own battery connector, do separate micro-inverters exist that can accept the 18v output from these power tool batteries? I know there are inverters for car use, but I am having difficulty finding out if they have both this power save feature, and will not time-out on me.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Back