diy solar

diy solar

Coulombmeter with more than one cable going through

perceval

I got one of those coulomb meter that is an inductor with battery cable going through it.
Since I have two cables, one going to my 12V system, and one going to my 110V inverter, is it possible to put the two cables going through the inductor and get the ready from either or both cables, or does it need to be a single cable?
Been scouting the internet and I can't find the info.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 9V-100V-Hall-Coulomb-Meter-Battery-Indicator-Lithium-Monitor-LiFePO4-Lead-Acid-Voltage-Current...jpg
    9V-100V-Hall-Coulomb-Meter-Battery-Indicator-Lithium-Monitor-LiFePO4-Lead-Acid-Voltage-Current...jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
If the two cables has the same current flow direction then the meter will show the combined current draw, I.E. the inverter wire has 12A, the other wires has 2A, then the meter will show 14A if both wires have same current flow direction, but if the one wire (the 2A one) has opposite current flow then the meter will show 10A.
You can try and see what you get, you cannot blow it up since they are just wires feed through the hole.
Are you trying to measure how much you are pulling from the battery?

Thanks!

yep, just trying to see what the AC draws, mostly. It also has an alarm for low voltage, which could come in handy when running the AC on a warm night.
The 12V stuff is just LEDs and fans. Not much pull from there.

Thanks!

yep, just trying to see what the AC draws
, mostly. It also has an alarm for low voltage, which could come in handy when running the AC on a warm night.
The 12V stuff is just LEDs and fans. Not much pull from there.
It is better just to put it on the main battery wire no need to put two separate wire through the meter to accomplish the same thing, reading the what are being drawn from the battery.

I just got the thing about the flow.
If I had put the cable that comes from my solar panels, I would have gotten in and out current flow. I didn't include it, as I already have that data from the Victron unit.

Thanks! I think I got it set up right.

Back