diy solar

diy solar

Current limiter : how does it work ?

Fabien83

Hello,
I discovered that some Victron BMS have a buit in current limiter on the alternator charging post.
Someone know how this works ? Is that made of variable resistors or similar components ? Does this produce heat ?

Is there a specific issue that you have and need to resolve? Or do you just randomly want to know how current limiters work, or want to know specifically how Victron have implemented a current limiting device?

The general principle is detailed here...

And yes, any current flowing through a non-perfect conductor will produce heat.

Thanks for your answer. No issue at all for now. Just out of technical curiosity I wanted to know how this is implemented in the Victron BMSs and understand the consequence on voltage regulation.
If this generates a lot of heat, I understand that it is wasted energy.
I understand that it limits current while the battery is not fully charged but can it lower the voltage once the battery is full ?

I understand that it limits current while the battery is not fully charged but can it lower the voltage once the battery is full ?
No idea about Victron, but typically the circuitty would limit the voltage to ensure that no more than the specified current will flow. Once the battery reaches the full voltage, current will reduce accordingly.

Thank you for your answers. I had the idea that a BMS could only be ON or OFF and didn't know that some are able to limit the current instead of just acting like a switch.

diy solar

diy solar
Back