diy solar

diy solar

Curved Solar Panel Array vs Flat???

WattAboutThat

IDEA for Consideration and Requesting your Feedback on this concept:

Instead of have a flat surface where all solar panels are on the same surface plane,

What if we were to create a
Top Row in Series,
and Angled to Maximize Winter Sun Angle,
then a
Bottom Row in Series,
and Angled to Maximize Summer Sun Angle,
then a
Middle Row Angled to Split the two angles

such that winter sun will be reflected down
towards summer angled panels in bottom row

and summer sun will be reflected up
towards winter angled panels

and all horizontal edges from each row are lined up so no shadows occur on other rows

it would require a different set of posts for each row at properly calculated height to achieve

but would maximize power throughout the year

the curve from top to bottom
would be like a parabola

or similar to those sun baking devices
that concentrates the sun on a tube to heat water etc

would need to calculate best angles to get max reflection between rows to determine focal point that works best

any ideas on this subject
or ways to improve it are invited

thx

What makes you think this will work? PV panels are not mirrors. They don't reflect much of anything. This says only 2%. Even if they did...

Winter scenario:

The sun striking the summer panel is being hit by far less energy than the winter panel as in this illustration:

1671572150275.png

Steeper panel is getting about 2X the sun as the shallow panel, so if it was actually a mirror, it can only potentially reflect about 50% of the energy hitting the winter panel... assuming it produces no power on its own.

Since panels radiate 80% of what they get as heat, you might actually see slightly worse performance from the winter panel as the summer panel is radiating heat in the direction of the winter panel. Combine that with the mid-season panel, and you have a parabolic pocket of heat in front of the array slowing the array's ability to dissipate heat, increasing panel cell temperatures and degrading performance.

I don't see this as remotely viable, almost certainly detrimental to performance vs. a year-round orientation of the whole array, and certainly more expensive to mount.

all good arguments

but i would like to see if anyone has tried such a design
and what empirical evidence they may have learned

thx

IDEA for Consideration and Requesting your Feedback on this concept:

Instead of have a flat surface where all solar panels are on the same surface plane,

What if we were to create a
Top Row in Series,
and Angled to Maximize Winter Sun Angle,
then a
Bottom Row in Series,
and Angled to Maximize Summer Sun Angle,
then a
Middle Row Angled to Split the two angles

such that winter sun will be reflected down
towards summer angled panels in bottom row

and summer sun will be reflected up
towards winter angled panels

and all horizontal edges from each row are lined up so no shadows occur on other rows

it would require a different set of posts for each row at properly calculated height to achieve

but would maximize power throughout the year

the curve from top to bottom
would be like a parabola

or similar to those sun baking devices
that concentrates the sun on a tube to heat water etc

would need to calculate best angles to get max reflection between rows to determine focal point that works best

any ideas on this subject
or ways to improve it are invited

thx

Make a drawing.

Fun fact. You can tell how effective a solar array will be by the size of the shadow it's casting on the ground.

Probably not because PV panels don't reflect much (2-3%), and looking at it logically says the summer panel oriented at year-round would produce WAY more than it would reflect on the winter panel. Additionally, on average, an entire adjustable array with 3 positions: winter, summer and spring/fall only produce about 5% more annually than a fixed array at optimal spring/fall.

A fixed array with 3 different orientations as you describe would absolutely perform worse than a fixed year-round array. You can simulate this very easily with PVWatts and JRC.

You're the idea man... Test your own theory. Get yourself a few panels, a mounting setup and an insolation meter:

Let us know how it goes.

Well, build it, and then get back to us. Put each angle on a different breaker, and test each one singlely, and then in combination. Publish your results here.

but i would like to see if anyone has tried such a design
and what empirical evidence they may have learned
When you do it, let us know. Sounds like a PITA to construct.

Panels are not very reflective. That's a key part of what makes them very good at being a solar PV panel.

I'll leave you with this rhetorical question to consider....

If it made sense, then why don't industrial scale solar PV farms construct arrays in this manner?

When you do it, let us know. Sounds like a PITA to construct.

Panels are not very reflective. That's a key part of what makes them very good at being a solar PV panel.

I'll leave you with this rhetorical question to consider....

If it made sense, then why don't industrial scale solar PV farms construct arrays in this manner?

I have limited bandwidth from which to picture what the OP is talking about but bifacial panels might give you an idea of return.

Panels are sooooooo cheap now, it makes little sense to spend much money and time on some Rube Goldberg like what the OP is talking about to collect a few more percent.

I mean experimenting is always enjoyable but in this case...meh.

Ok, you all have convinced me it was not a great idea.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback!

Probably not because PV panels don't reflect much (2-3%), and looking at it logically says the summer panel oriented at year-round would produce WAY more than it would reflect on the winter panel. Additionally, on average, an entire adjustable array with 3 positions: winter, summer and spring/fall only produce about 5% more annually than a fixed array at optimal spring/fall.

A fixed array with 3 different orientations as you describe would absolutely perform worse than a fixed year-round array. You can simulate this very easily with PVWatts and JRC.

You're the idea man... Test your own theory. Get yourself a few panels, a mounting setup and an insolation meter:

Let us know how it goes.
I think that 5% number depends quite a bit on your latitude. Near the equator it's probably even less but at higher latititudes it might be better.

If you get snow in your climate, it would not slide off the panels as easily as if they're flat. Our weather has changed enough that I often have to clear a wet snow off the panels because the temperature drops right away and it turns to ice.

I looked at different angles to improve efficiency but panels were so much cheaper than complicated mounting systems, I just bought a few more panels.

Tracking systems (if cheap) help a lot or at least something where you can manually adjust tilt and direction.

Panels do best 90° to the sun, period. Your above example has two panels at a not optimum angle.

Also, look up bifacial panels. They catch reflected light.

Back