diy solar

diy solar

Lower panel angle or risk shadowing?

bagman

I'm fitting 4 panels on a flat, S facing roof in a row from S to N.
I am at 55 degrees, so I gather the optimum fixed angle is 55 degrees...

Problem is that at that angle, in Winter at least they will overshadow each other. Even at a lower angle, say 30 degrees they will shadow each other unless there are big spaces between them, which I don't have roof space for. I don't quite know how to calculate distances required to spread out the panels so they don't overshadow each other... but I am wondering if I should even bother. In December I will have sun at 20 degrees from the horizon, so the only way to capture that without shadowing others is to place them all flat.

So... I gather that the solar gain from angling panels is pretty minimal anyway, so I am wondering if I am just best to lie them flat (or at some small angle to drain water). I think the loss of power from putting part of a panel in shadow is much more than the gain from tilting up towards the sun. Any thoughts on this?

I think the loss of power from putting part of a panel in shadow is much more than the gain from tilting up towards the sun. Any thoughts on this?
Welcome and Yes!

If you want to get all technical about production, you can use the calculator here to explore different scenarios

Optimum angle will likely be less than 55 degrees IMHO. But, at the end of the day avoiding overshadowing will be more important than perfect angle - it makes less difference than most people.

On a bright cloudy overcast day like today, makes no difference. My panels are at 15 degrees (in an E-W config) - as you say a small angle (10 to 15) is good to aid water run off.

As a side thought... Would an east-west config be a possibility with your topology to fit more panels in? 4 is not that many so you will need to ensure you have enough voltage for the inverter to kick in.

Would an east-west config be a possibility with your topology to fit more panels in?
no... it's on a dormer roof, just wide enough to get the panels on, but long enough to fit 4 in a row.

On a bright cloudy overcast day like today, makes no difference. My panels are at 15 degrees
I guess you mean the lower angle makes no difference? (not the overshadowing)

I am making an awning out of panels. I was only planning to tilt them 5 degrees toward the south.
My panels are 36" and they will drop 3". It seems like that is enough for water to run off.
Mine will be low enough so I can clean them when needed.
I imagine you would be able to lower the angle enough to avoid shadowing
People put hinges on panels. I am not.

Back