diy solar

diy solar

Optimal winter angle for cloudy days without sun

From what I am seeing most of the people reagard more perpendicular angle like 60 degrees as the most optimal tilt for the winter. The reason being is that the sun is low during the winter.
So they're orienting towards the sun. Which should make sense, right? But the thing is that in my area most of the time there is no sun in the winter. Cloudy days, sky is like a concrete, I am sure you know what I mean. There may be a few sunny days in a month.
So I also found that quite a few folks are setting their panels to zero degree angle and even showing some figures claiming that such an angle is the most optimal for cloudy winter days. The reason is because panels are able to absorb more of the ambient light.
Which makes sense to me. It is worth mentioning that my array will be ground mounted. I want to optimize for the winter exclusively and I don't really care about the effectiveness of my panels during rest of the year. So during cloudy days when the total output is very low, those additional 30% would really matter to me. On rare occasions of a sunny day I think I'll still be able to charge my batteries, even though it may be slower than if my panels were set to a perpendicular angle.
But then there's another factor: snow. If you set to zero degrees, you'll probably have to clean your panels all the time, because the snow just won't come off. Perpendicular angle has a clear advantage here.
So that leads me to a conclusion that something like 10-20 degrees would be the most optimal angle for the scenario I described. Since the snow should be able to come off by itself easier than if it is 0 degree (although tbh I am not sure how much tilt is minimum required for the snow to come off). And the angle is pretty flat, so the panels should be able to absorb more of the ambient light.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
On cloudy days with snow on the ground I'd use vertical (and I am ;)) because then you could be getting diffuse light from the sky AND from the ground (fresh snow has an albedo of 0,8-0,9). Also no snow over the panels. Without snow I'd just point panels towards alleged sun.

Now that we have some 15cm of snow it seems to double my daily production on these heavily overcast days. Even still 6kWh out of 44kWp system is just sad.:cry:

On cloudy days with snow on the ground I'd use vertical (and I am ;)) because then you could be getting diffuse light from the sky AND from the ground (fresh snow has an albedo of 0,8-0,9). Also no snow over the panels. Without snow I'd just point panels towards alleged sun.

Now that we have some 15cm of snow it seems to double my daily production on these heavily overcast days. Even still 6kWh out of 44kWp system is just sad.:cry:
I have the same experience. I'm luckily still without snow cover, but once it comes I see a marked increase in the output from my array. Direct sunlight regularly gives me 12kW from my 10kW array in the winter.

I move it to vertical once the snow starts falling here in the frozen Keweenaw peninsula of Michigan. Even a 5 degree upward tilt allows the snow to collect on the panels.

I chuckle when people talk about brushing the panels off. It snows off and on all day often here. You wouldn't even get a coffee break.

I've thought about that reflection too.

I'm currently considering adding some panels to my storage shed on the south wall above the 14 foot tall doors, totally vertical. This would be for supplemental PV in winter due to short and cloudy days. My system does fine the rest of the year.

If you can not aim at the brightest point in real time then a tilt of about 15 degrees to the equator gives you the biggest view of the diffuse light from a cloudy day, but it really comes down to how heavy and the type of cloud cover.

If you just want to over-panel and optimize for those conditions it might work for off grid. Total annual energy wouldn't be optimal though.

I've thought about that reflection too.

I'm currently considering adding some panels to my storage shed on the south wall above the 14 foot tall doors, totally vertical. This would be for supplemental PV in winter due to short and cloudy days. My system does fine the rest of the year.
If you have white wall where you're putting them use bifacials if you get those cheap enough.

Back