diy solar

diy solar

Daly Smart BMS cannot connect to PC

t-muehlberger

Hello,

today I built my first 4S 12V LiFePo4 battery. I use a Daly Smart BMS (R05W-GB19). With the BMS I have a bluetooth module and a USB cable. (Bluetooth has 4 wires and is plugged in the "UART" port of the BMS, USB has three wires and is plugged into the "Monitor" port on the BMS).

While playing around in the App with the settings via bluetooth, I accidentally set the setting "sleep waiting time" to zero seconds, before it was 3600sec. After that i could not connect via bluetooth anymore. I am assuming the bluetooth goes to sleep instantly now.

Up to this point I had only connected to the BMS via bluetooth, I have not yet tried the USB cable.

So since the bluetooth is not working anymore I imagined that I can just plug in the USB cable and fix the "sleep waiting time" somehow. The problem is that I have now been trying for several hours to connect my PC to the BMS but I cannot seem to get it working.

I installed the USB driver from Daly and I am seeing this port appear, as soon as I plug the USB cable in.
1619542477874.png

I also installed the "BMS Tools" software from Daly and I am using these settings to connect to the BMS.
1619542599012.png

So far everything looks promising, but when I click OK and try to change settings I get only nonsense placeholder values and I cannot update any settings. This makes me believe that the BMS is not actually connected.
1619542731063.png

I already tried a lot of different things, I used different connection settings. I tried to activate the BMS by charging the battery through the BMS. I could not get any different results.

Is there something I am doing wrong? What am I missing?
Do I somehow have to wake the BMS up before connecting via USB?
Is it possible that my accidental setting also affected the USB-Monitor interface and that it is now also going to sleep instantly?
Is there a way to Factory-Reset these devices somehow without access to bluetooth or USB?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am really running out of ideas here, I hope I haven't bricked my BMS.

Ok thank you for the info, I downloaded Version V0.2 . Sadly it is still the same issue. What settings do I have to use with my BMS? Does it have to be activated somehow before connecting?

Ok it seems that I got very lucky and was able to fix the issue after trying for a long time. The initial issue was that I set the "sleep timeout" to zero, which means that the BMS instantly goes back to sleep after waking up.

As expected with this setting it is impossible to connect to to the Bluetooth. What I did not expect is that I also cannot connect via USB to UART. It seems that the BMS is in a complete sleep mode. The reason behind this is probably to save power.

I tried many different things for several hours. I finally managed to fix it. It seems that when the NTC (Temperature Sensor) is unplugged the BMS does not go to sleep and Bluetooth works.

The exact steps I used were:
1. Disconnect the BMS balance leads to turn the BMS completely off.
2. Connect a charger to the battery (it will try to charge the battery and thus activate the BMS)
3. Disconnect the NTC.
4. Now plug in the BMS balance leads and hope that you see the Bluetooth on your phone.

I got lucky that this bug in the software exists and that I have a BMS with the NTC. I have no idea what I would have done without that, probably I would have to buy a new BMS.

Now if anyone from the Daly Company reads this: Please, Please, Please make it impossible in the software to set the BMS sleep timeout to zero seconds.

Ok it seems that I got very lucky and was able to fix the issue after trying for a long time. The initial issue was that I set the "sleep timeout" to zero, which means that the BMS instantly goes back to sleep after waking up.

As expected with this setting it is impossible to connect to to the Bluetooth. What I did not expect is that I also cannot connect via USB to UART. It seems that the BMS is in a complete sleep mode. The reason behind this is probably to save power.

I tried many different things for several hours. I finally managed to fix it. It seems that when the NTC (Temperature Sensor) is unplugged the BMS does not go to sleep and Bluetooth works.

2. Connect a charger to the battery (it will try to charge the battery and thus activate the BMS)
3. Disconnect the NTC.
4. Now plug in the BMS balance leads and hope that you see the Bluetooth on your phone.

I got lucky that this bug in the software exists and that I have a BMS with the NTC. I have no idea what I would have done without that, probably I would have to buy a new BMS.

Now if anyone from the Daly Company reads this: Please, Please, Please make it impossible in the software to set the BMS sleep timeout to zero seconds.
thats crazy, definitelly not nice behavior. And some of my customer did already complained about the sleeping behavior. THis should be for sure under users control , not a default time in the software.

In the Daly 4S BMS, the sleeptime 15300 should permanently prevent the BMS from falling asleep. In the 16S DALY BMS the sleeptime must be set to 65535 to permanently prevent it from sleeping.

3. Disconnect the NTC.

A lot is us are havng issues with Daly. The main issue overall for me is that the instruction are just not up to the job. No details on roblem solving and for that matter so many updates and upgrades every month seemingly !!!
I am waiting for my 3rd replacement due soon!

The last 2nd unit last a about 1 hour before suffering organ failures - 1st not allowing charging, quicky followed by not allowing any power out, and finally the software giving Errors about AFE acquisition chip failure & EEPROM storage Error.
So if you can get PCMaster up and running check for any of these in the Data Motoring Page, bottom left panel.

I used the install leaflet that came with my twin BMS units i.e. 2x 24v 8s 100A units.
One of them has worked without any issues from the outset. I have 2 separet power blocks just in case one went down - i can switch to the other. What great foresight !
The 2nd system is simply hard wired without BMS at present, and it charges and discharges perfectly so long as i dont let the main voltage get too high (Max 28v). The Outback Charger / Inverter has every setting under the sun including high voltage & Low voltage disconnect on the DC side.

I have been recording everything on the gopro so if they give me any trouble on the Warranty?! - Joyce from Daly Official Store has been very good so far. So kudos to her here.

This is really a shame because i want to show the system i have on YouTube, but this is such a mess now - bah.

Good luck all.

There should be a "scan all" icon on the first page
Hi Sharky - good idea! Sounds like the software is different for different models? plus i have everything connected to the PC on a CANBUS then into USB port.

If you mean the PCmaster software - there is the Engineering Page with an Activate BMS button but that does not active the BMS but on that page you also have the Button like "Current" if its alive and in my case because i use a CANBUS for both BMS, that light is on also.

This screen shot shows a faulty BMS as nothng is showing nor s the BMS doing any work.

One point her, is that if th eBMS is alive and well - it shuld be 1 or 2 degrees warmer than its surroundings.
My BMS are mounted on a wall in the utility room.

Thanks Sharky722

Attachments

• Engineering Model Page.jpg
    Engineering Model Page.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks DiYSolarU. But when i last tried to upgrade the PCMaster software, i could not get any readings from my only working BMS, model R16A GB16, The other BMS of the same model had failed (Not before being upgraded with firmware) so both appeared to be fine until shortly after, the later was replaced with a R25A-GE08 and this started working but failed after a few minutes, this was then replaced with an R25A-GE31 but that despite having a Quality Control cert showed before fully connecting - just Connection B-, temp to activate!??? and Balance leads was not showing a good read either. Voltage over Batt terms showed 26.3, whereas Positive Batt to P- showed 25.8v !?

Connected full in hope - but no current flow out showing and no charge in depsite voltage showing 27.1 in on P- side but 26.3 on B- side.
The one original unit that workd strainght away has continued to give great service for the past 4 month. But i'm concerned over the long haul.

Have sent message to Daly Official store.

Of interest have just spent the past 3 hours messing with the dead units having not done anything with them - the last replacement actually came to life, i connected, and it showed it was handling the charging into the batteries for about 5 seconds befroe dropping dead again.

Something very wrong with Daly BMS units right now.
Just to confirm - yes i tested the voltages cross the Balance leads, the connections, and used two different meters which all checked out.

Wiring is perfect on this battery bank. - cry cry cry.

Your model is not in the compatibility list of the Daly software... ?

Original DALY Software Link
I have another set of wires coming off the cell for my IDST meters and the CellMeter 8 meters.
I simply plug these in to see if there is any charge and discharge happening. Just as well because having such a mix up of BMS units now means that PCMaster still works perfectly with the Original BMS, but not any of the new ones.
The wiring is all perfect. Tested more times than i have had dinners of late.
I have already demonstrated to myself that I can activate the BMS units if they are working to start with.
Even got the 2nd replacement, to fire up, but it only survived a short while.

Then when i tried that replacementa few days ago it actually fired up, but only lasted a few minutes, not giving me time to try and get a "Read Parameters" on the Daly software. I have 2 versions of PCMaster running.

I have now given up, far too much time spent on this, and have ordered a completely different brand from the USA.
The one Will P. was talking about recently. It's on back order.

For anyone buying from Daly - good luck guys!

I am also having the same issue here, can not get the bms talk to the pc, those instruction video is not very helpful

Sorry - have been away.
Good luck with your Daly - they are fine when they work, and when you are able to set up the voltages.

I was using the USB cable and CANBUS interface to connect to PC. But you need to get th eright BMS Software for the BMS version you have.
Contact Daly for more help by all means.

In my case, they had sent me 3 different BMS versions - each seemingly needed a sligtly differnet software version of the software or it crashed.
The software still crashes even though i have the right version for my BMS.

I the end i had 3 daly BMS sent out to me in the search for one that worked - all dead on arrival or worked for about 10 seconds before dying.
I have 2 separate systems that are identical.

1x still has the original Daly BMS which still works after 6 month now! Wow!
The other now has the Overkill 100amp, 24v BMS with usb connection to computer.

What a diffference! - straight out of the box and she was up and running without any hassle.
Blue and black leads connect to battery 1st, then the balance leads and she was running.

All the settings in Overkill are all correct - be warned the Daly BMS do not have the right voltage settings so you will need to set these up.
They even sent me the "Test report sheet" that clearly came out of an automated machine that checks all parameters and reports back.
All Daly send is a sticker with QC stuck on the BMS.

I am 100% confident with Overkill gear now!
Their BMS is working really well and i've not even needed to run the software to check the settings because my system readouts are perfect on the Overkill set up.

Wishing you all the best and hope it all worked out !

Last edited:
Hello,

today I built my first 4S 12V LiFePo4 battery. I use a Daly Smart BMS (R05W-GB19). With the BMS I have a bluetooth module and a USB cable. (Bluetooth has 4 wires and is plugged in the "UART" port of the BMS, USB has three wires and is plugged into the "Monitor" port on the BMS).

While playing around in the App with the settings via bluetooth, I accidentally set the setting "sleep waiting time" to zero seconds, before it was 3600sec. After that i could not connect via bluetooth anymore. I am assuming the bluetooth goes to sleep instantly now.

Up to this point I had only connected to the BMS via bluetooth, I have not yet tried the USB cable.

So since the bluetooth is not working anymore I imagined that I can just plug in the USB cable and fix the "sleep waiting time" somehow. The problem is that I have now been trying for several hours to connect my PC to the BMS but I cannot seem to get it working.

I installed the USB driver from Daly and I am seeing this port appear, as soon as I plug the USB cable in.
View attachment 46930

I also installed the "BMS Tools" software from Daly and I am using these settings to connect to the BMS.
View attachment 46931

So far everything looks promising, but when I click OK and try to change settings I get only nonsense placeholder values and I cannot update any settings. This makes me believe that the BMS is not actually connected.
View attachment 46932

I already tried a lot of different things, I used different connection settings. I tried to activate the BMS by charging the battery through the BMS. I could not get any different results.

Is there something I am doing wrong? What am I missing?
Do I somehow have to wake the BMS up before connecting via USB?
Is it possible that my accidental setting also affected the USB-Monitor interface and that it is now also going to sleep instantly?
Is there a way to Factory-Reset these devices somehow without access to bluetooth or USB?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am really running out of ideas here, I hope I haven't bricked my BMS.
Don't worry. The BMS or interfaces are in a sleep mode. If You can get current from battery, the BMS works and just start charging for a few seconds. The both interfaces (BT and UART) wil wake up. When get a communication you'll be able to set a parameters.

Don't worry. The BMS or interfaces are in a sleep mode. If You can get current from battery, the BMS works and just start charging for a few seconds. The both interfaces (BT and UART) wil wake up. When get a communication you'll be able to set a parameters.
I undestand that the BMS never goes off only BT! Did u know that there is an ON button on the BT hardware?

In the Daly 4S BMS, the sleeptime 15300 should permanently prevent the BMS from falling asleep. In the 16S DALY BMS the sleeptime must be set to 65535 to permanently prevent it from sleeping.

FWIW, I tried 15300 with my Daly 4S and it still eventually went to sleep. 65535 works though.

Did u know that there is an ON button on the BT hardware?
Isn't that only on the newer BT modules?

I undestand that the BMS never goes off only BT! Did u know that there is an ON button on the BT hardware?
The sleep mode is useful and there is no reason to turn it off. In a practice a battery is sometimes connected to some load but sometimes not. When not connected, the sleep mode turns the interfaces off. If you wish to read your battery state when sleeps, just turn some load (light for example) on and all interfaces will wake up.

Back