diy solar

diy solar

DC-DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER WITH MPPT

leoj

Having some fun thinking about a DC-only (for now) solar+alternator build for a compact car. Hashing out some thoughts here in case anyone can help.

I have found three devices that might be all-in-on solutions for smart switching between alternator and solar charging, while also keeping the starter battery topped off:

- CTEK D250SA, https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-186-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B005LBCVL4
- Renogy DCC50S, https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50a-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/
- REDARC BCDC1225D, https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

The Renogy and REDARC both explicitly support lithium batteries, whereas the CTEK only explicitly supports lead acid. I've already decided I will use only lithium batteries for such a project, and I'm not sure if the lead acid controller will work efficiently/correctly on a lithium battery... The Amazon Q/A has a question asking "Can you use this for a lithium battery setup?" to which the reply is "No, CTEK is clear that these are for lead acid type batteries only." So CTEK might be out of running.

The CTEK and REDARC have smaller output at 20A and 25A versus the Renogy at 50A, and probably the smaller output is better suited to the compact car alternator that the charge controller would be used with (although I might be wrong about higher output negatively affecting the car alternator lifespan). The Q/A on the Renogy website has a question asking "Truck limit of 30 amp thru trailer plug. Is there a way to avoid blowing truck fuses in charging the truck battery/or using truck to charge trailer solar battery bank?" to which the reply is "Thank you for contacting Renogy, currently it can only be limited to about 12%".

Does "limited to about 12%" mean the Renogy can be scaled down to 6A of output? If so, the Renogy might be more flexible in this regard which would be good when moving the system to a larger vehicle. However, it is possible what is meant is that output can only be scaled down to 44A, or 12% less than the full 50A. Not sure?

As for service battery and panel size, I'm really not sure if these specs are overkill for my usage, but the price point is fine: I'm planning to power one 100ah lithium battery, starting with one 100W solar panel, scaling up to a maximum of two 100W panels for a total of 200W if the one 100W panel is not enough to reach full charge.

The load on the service battery will be the occasional RC lipo battery charge (couple of 6s and 3s packs), running a 12v projector directly off DC, and an always recording dash cam. I might find some other things I'd like to power in the future and assume I have some headroom because I guesstimate the dash cam to draw ~5ah, which I assume won't overly deplete the battery during overnight.

My area has great sun during the day into the late afternoon but also cold winters so I guess I will need a lithium battery that has a heating element or I will need to build a heated box. I'm not sure if the heated box would be warm enough to also allow storing RC batteries in the car in the winter?

Adding a pure sine inverter at a later date (if I eventually purchase an electric skateboard) would allow me to charge AC using solar as well which would be nice, although I'm not sure if the 100ah battery would be enough to fully charge a skateboard; I'm really not familiar with doing these energy calculations.

I haven't seen much about the solar+alternator charge controllers and am not sure which battery to get. I also get the impression from some of the YouTube videos that perhaps charging off the alternator is frowned upon, but it is not clear if that's because it damages the alternator (which I hope the expensive all-in-one systems do not) or we just prefer full solar, or if I just got the wrong impression?

I just installed the renogy one if you have any questions you want to direct my way.

So far it's awesome. I was looking for a DC-DC multi-stage charger but didn't like that all of them seemed to need you to run both positive, negative, AND a voltage sensor feed from the starter battery. This new renogy device randomly just launched and it's exactly what I wanted. Solar and alternator charging in one device, one power cable to the starting battery, an internal voltage sensing relay. It has all the alternator protection features like a 15 second cut in and out delay, and if your house battery is topped off it can trickle charge your starting battery with some of your solar.

It seems like they built this thing in direct response to all the issues with their single purpose DC-DC chargers. I don't know why you'd buy one of those over this if you had the choice and didn't already have an existing solar charger setup that you wanted to keep.

I originally bought a wirthco battery doctor but then got turned off after Will's discussion of those basic isolators. I want only the best for my house batteries so you have to go with a true multi-stage charger. I don't totally understand how the alternator itself could be damaged with a regular isolator, but i do understand that the house batteries will degrade faster if you don't have a float stage.

the risk is that this is a version 1.0 device so we are "test guinea pigs" in a way. so far it working as designed.

theres a video on my channel (in my signature) too.

IMG_20190922_174352.jpg

Last edited:
Great video thanks. With the delay it seems very alternator friendly. Seems to also fulfill both our needs, any recommendation on lithium battery size for me? I think this is looking like a great gap filler product.

Great video thanks. With the delay it seems very alternator friendly. Seems to also fulfill both our needs, any recommendation on lithium battery size for me? I think this is looking like a great gap filler product.

I love the electric skateboard idea. I think i need to get one of those too!

I imagine you'd be fine with a 100aH lithium like you suggested. I have two 125aH AGMs (that of course I can only get 50% of) but honestly I'm thinking I could get away with JUST charging off the alternator if needed. Since you're putting it in a small car, are you driving a lot?

Your project sounds fun and I think starting with one panel and the combined alternator/solar charger would be pretty slick.

I recall someone suggesting doing some kind of test with just batteries and your alternator to determine your true average aH battery needs over a 2-3 day period. Essentially charge your batteries up fully then start the timer in the evening and do whatever you'd normally do for the next couple days without charging until you fully discharge. Then calculate the average over that time period. Then once you know roughly how much you use in 24 hours, you can compute how much alternator + solar charging you'd need to refill it in a day.

Having some fun thinking about a DC-only (for now) solar+alternator build for a compact car. Hashing out some thoughts here in case anyone can help.

I have found three devices that might be all-in-on solutions for smart switching between alternator and solar charging, while also keeping the starter battery topped off:

- CTEK D250SA, https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-186-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B005LBCVL4
- Renogy DCC50S, https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50a-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/
- REDARC BCDC1225D, https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

The Renogy and REDARC both explicitly support lithium batteries, whereas the CTEK only explicitly supports lead acid. I've already decided I will use only lithium batteries for such a project, and I'm not sure if the lead acid controller will work efficiently/correctly on a lithium battery... The Amazon Q/A has a question asking "Can you use this for a lithium battery setup?" to which the reply is "No, CTEK is clear that these are for lead acid type batteries only." So CTEK might be out of running.

The CTEK and REDARC have smaller output at 20A and 25A versus the Renogy at 50A, Thats

A RedArc 1240D can do 40 Amps. Its a great MPPT Solar controller/DC to DC battery charger. 480 watts solar, more than will fit on your small compact roof. Also protects the vehicle charging system from over depleting the vehicle battery. Biases to solar power when it is available. Very well thought out, tested and true device.

Last edited:
I'm just getting into solar but have had one of these under the hood of my 4runner for a couple years and it has not missed a beat.

Not on your list. I had mine shipped from AU via eBay.

Someone mentioned that this DC/DC is not set up for Lithium as they needed 14.6 but this does 14.4 on AGM and 14.7 on WET. Not sure if the 14.7 would be dangerous or usable.

All I've done so far if just power an ARB fridge via a secondary AGM with my primary being a standard lead acid.

I'm just getting into solar but have had one of these under the hood of my 4runner for a couple years and it has not missed a beat.

Not on your list. I had mine shipped from AU via eBay.

Someone mentioned that this DC/DC is not set up for Lithium as they needed 14.6 but this does 14.4 on AGM and 14.7 on WET. Not sure if the 14.7 would be dangerous or usable.

All I've done so far if just power an ARB fridge via a secondary AGM with my primary being a standard lead acid.
Hi there, hope you are all doing great guys! Just want to let you know that lithium-ion battery will generally be charging fine over 14V. Preferably, 14.6V , however no issues have seen so far if not exactly 14.6V. Also, you may wonder why alternator can actually charge a lithium-ion battery without any special charger, the answer is that “sealed” /AGM batteries have very similar charging profile characteristics to lithium-ion battery.

@havesomejoe Does the Renogy cut off charging in below zero temperatures, do you know? Not clear if that is included in the temperature protection but I would hope so for my cold climate. I assume the Renogy is still working well for you?

This is the electric skateboard I have on the way: https://bustinboards.com/products/yoface-hybrid

The Battle Born battery has cold temp cutoff, but could save money if I didn't need that. Also BB has a heating wrap but I would rather build a box to also keep drone and skateboard batteries at a nice warm temperature. I've seen people accomplish this using Arduino and 3D printer bed heating elements.

Theres some more details ive got logged over on the T6 Forum.

DC-DC Charger (for Leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

I thought it was about time i addressed the whole DC-DC charger thing. . . .

ive been running the Redarc BCDC1240, Im now testing the Victron 12/12/30 and have a BCDC1250D to test next.

Last edited:
still very satisfied with the RedArc BCDC1240D battery charger. Previous BCDC1230 also worked well.

Last edited:
About to do something similar, but for a travel trailer. @RandyP , is the Redarc still holding up? Do you have it mounted inside or outside. I'll be deciding between the Redarc & Renogy 50A MPPT DC-DC. Does anyone know the max amps that the Redarc can support via solar? Per Will's video, the Renogy 50A can only support 25A solar (so requires writing in series).

About to do something similar, but for a travel trailer. @RandyP , is the Redarc still holding up? Do you have it mounted inside or outside. I'll be deciding between the Redarc & Renogy 50A MPPT DC-DC. Does anyone know the max amps that the Redarc can support via solar? Per Will's video, the Renogy 50A can only support 25A solar (so requires writing in series).
The renogy is limited to 25 Volts, 400 watts solar, so you have to wire in parallel. You can get greater than 25a from solar.

The renogy will do 50a via solar , just limited when both alternator and solar are combined

I like the RedArc products. Here's a link to a PDF manual for a 50A model (specs are on about page 2):

1609694117574.png

The only drawback I see is the max solar input voltage is 35 v (redarc is 25v even worse). If you are building a high voltage solar panel system, these will not work. But if you buy panels and intertie them to match this spec, it works fine.

I've got the Kisae ASBO version, with upto 45v panel VOC. Only one I could find with a decent panel voltage.

Does this device allow for using the service/house battery to jump start a dead starter battery?
OR…do I need to use jumper cables cross connecting the two batteries, in which case do I need to disconnect the battery/batteries from the device?

Which individual device are you asking about. Each manufacturer offers some different features.

Does this device allow for using the service/house battery to jump start a dead starter battery?
OR…do I need to use jumper cables cross connecting the two batteries, in which case do I need to disconnect the battery/batteries from the device?
You added : The Renogy DCC50S.
No,
But the Renogy device itemized does allow the solar panels thru the SCC to maintain the vehicle starting battery, after charging the auzx battery. I suggest you downloads the manual from Renogy and look thru it. (Friends do not let friends buy Renogy)!

Back