diy solar

diy solar

DC Fridge or AC fridge with inverter?

I think people come back to review a product that failed. They're mad. If everything is good I have less incentive to post a review.
Anger may be initiative for some, another angle is a duty to inform others so it doesnt happen to them too.
Just as we would hope others would warn us so we could make informed decisions.
Id guess I have reviewed hundreds of products by now on the internet, most at the ends of the spectrum of ratings, isnt that usually the case?
And nowadays they can be used to get action you cannot otherwise get.

Negative reviews can be posted for many reasons, bs return scammers who got caught, those who wait beyond warranty times, those making unreasonable requests, people who don’t like the seller, the competition, etc etc etc …
Amazon reviews are always taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

To rely on them as a trusted indicator of quality is foolish.

Negative reviews can be posted for many reasons, bs return scammers who got caught, those who wait beyond warranty times, those making unreasonable requests, people who don’t like the seller, the competition, etc etc etc …
Amazon reviews are always taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

To rely on them as a trusted indicator of quality is foolish.
You mean people he knows in real life, that just dont like him, post bad reviews on amazon? When the seller is in China and Amazon knows the reviewer is in the US?

You can filter reviews by verified purchases only.

I agree reviews are imperfect, (did someone say they were a "trusted indicator of quality"?)I would offer its foolish to think Amazon customers dont take reviews into consideration when choosing products... but nobody said that either.
Its been my experience that reviews can be pretty accurate and the biggest trap one can fall into is wanting the product to fulfill your needs so badly, that you choose to ignore critical reviews thinking "maybe he was too dumb to figure out how to use it, but Im an expert" or "he didnt maintain it, I take care of my things" and I guess we can add to such exceptionalisms, "he is lying".
i cant be the only one to admit to such denials and later admitting, "damn, should have paid attention to the reviews"
This is also why for negative reviews to have effect, they must be reasonable, the user should sound intelligent, yet humble. Be nice! Like " I always get great service here, I dont know what happened this time?" Businesses will bend over to fix the problem, but they wont for "these idiots, never coming here again. Whole company is ****ed up!"
What they've done is give review readers, a reason to think you did something to deserve it and it couldnt happen to them. Vulgarity or abuse is a big no no.
Present it in a way that they can identify with and says, "this could happen to anyone, including me" and that review stings. Successful companies know this.
A few bad reviews are ok, especially for reasons you listed. So I will finish saying I fully agree with you. The unreasonable can be obvious, but a lot of good people write honest reviews of bad products, and its a great tool if youre savvy enough to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean people he knows in real life, that just dont like him, post bad reviews on amazon? When the seller is in China and Amazon knows the reviewer is in the US?
Are you aware you can filter reviews by verified purchases only?
I agree reviews are imperfect, (did someone say they were a "trusted indicator of quality"?)I would offer its foolish to think Amazon customers dont take reviews into consideration when choosing products... but nobody said that either.
Its been my experience that reviews can be pretty accurate and the biggest trap one can fall into is wanting the product to fulfill your needs so badly, that you choose to ignore critical reviews thinking "maybe he was too dumb to figure out how to use it, but Im an expert" or "he didnt maintain it, I take care of my things" and I guess we can add to such exceptionalisms, "he is lying".
i cant be the only one to admit to such denials and later admitting, "damn, should have paid attention to the reviews"
This is also why for negative reviews to have effect, they must be reasonable, the user should sound intelligent, yet humble. Be nice! Like " I always get great service here, I dont know what happened this time?" Businesses will bend over to fix the problem, but they wont for "these idiots, never coming here again. Whole company is ****ed up!"
You see what youve done is give review readers, a reason to think you did something to deserve it and it couldnt happen to them. Vulgarity or abuse is a big no no.
Present it in a way that they can identify with and says, "this could happen to anyone, including me" and that review stings. Successful companies know this.
A few bad reviews are ok, especially for reasons you listed. So I will finish saying I fully agree with you. The unreasonable can be obvious, but a lot of good people write honest reviews of bad products, and its a great tool if youre savvy enough to use it.
Yes, indeed, it is foolish. It is a fact that companies employ people for the specific purpose of disparaging a competitor's product, to sew the FUD, as it were. It's pretty obvious with a lot of products. It's been a part of marketing practices for a long time, however unethical is really is. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

I have two danfoss type permanent magnet motor refrigerators, they draw 41 watts at 24 volts with a run time of less than 20 % at 12 or 24 volts. These were marketed by Grape Solar and sold by Home Depot at about $750 each. They will run on one 100 watt solar panel and one 12 volt 100 a.h. Battery with lots of room to spare.......There is NO AC POWERED FRIDGE THAT CAN DO THAT......Adsorption fridges do not even come close at >6kwh/day. Grape Solar has exited the dc referigerator business but there are others, they are now common in over-the-road diesel tractor-trailer rigs. I have a smaller one which was salvaged from a New Volvo Truck that was wrecked, Also Danfoss compressor......

I ❤️ my 1.7cu ft Galanz AC fridge. !!

Perfect for me and many others. Energy is cheap....warranties are a hassle.

Saved a ton, cools very quickly, energy efficient, no problem with my 2 100 watt panels .....and did I mention I SAVED A TON ???

I have two danfoss type permanent magnet motor refrigerators, they draw 41 watts at 24 volts with a run time of less than 20 % at 12 or 24 volts. These were marketed by Grape Solar and sold by Home Depot at about $750 each. They will run on one 100 watt solar panel and one 12 volt 100 a.h. Battery with lots of room to spare.......There is NO AC POWERED FRIDGE THAT CAN DO THAT......Adsorption fridges do not even come close at >6kwh/day. Grape Solar has exited the dc referigerator business but there are others, they are now common in over-the-road diesel tractor-trailer rigs. I have a smaller one which was salvaged from a New Volvo Truck that was wrecked, Also Danfoss compressor......

lol
Hold my beer......?
Actually, it uses about 500Wh per day total. I get about 8 hours of sunlight where I am. (see posted test results this thread)
So yeah, I can run this AC fridge 24/7 on ONE 100 watt solar panel and my 120Ah battery no problem, with plenty left over for my needs (y)

Last edited:
Hi!
I have a small off grid (very) house (16’x20’) and am getting ready to purchase a refrigerator. Originally I was going to use a propane fridge but would rather not have the monthly bill of propane.

As of the other day I was dead set on a DC Unique fridge (6 cubic foot) and still may go that way but...

I’m wondering now if I would be better off (spending about the same amount of $$) buying a much cheaper small AC fridge and putting more money into panels, batteries, inverter etc. My house is wired with AC outlets so going this route could also allow me to start using my outlets for other things such as vacuuming, charging my laptop etc.

I was looking at probably spending around $1,500 for the DC fridge, battery, panel, charge controller etc.

Would I be able to spend about the same amount if I went with an AC fridge and inverter but also be able to have some more power to power other things as well ??

Thanks!
To trim all the hassles, get this instead Portable Refrigerator Freezer - 63 Qt. AC/DC - EdgeStar. It runs both 12/24VDC and 120VAC.

No no no !!

That's $800 with tax. :eek:
Well, I bought it in Feb 2021 for about $500 with tax. I guess the price went up due to 10% inflation (according to Fed Reserve). I doubt it, the inflation is 20% now. Anyway, it will go up more too if you wait till Fall 2021.
The fridge I have is to offer flexibility while you are building your DC system. Just like what I did in Feb 2021.

Most AC Inverters draw 20 watt idling , putting out no power at all......that’s 480 wh/day by itself.....with no loads...the best of the best...the Exeltech draws 8 watts idling ...that’s almost 200 w.h./day.....and that’s with the very rare low idle draw option which is $700 extra.....no my Exeltech is not the low idle draw model....it’s the standard 20 years mean time between failure model....I would have to see that one to believe it....

Most AC Inverters draw 20 watt idling , putting out no power at all......that’s 480 wh/day by itself.....with no loads...the best of the best...the Exeltech draws 8 watts idling ...that’s almost 200 w.h./day.....and that’s with the very rare low idle draw option which is $700 extra.....no my Exeltech is not the low idle draw model....it’s the standard 20 years mean time between failure model....I would have to see that one to believe it....

My Renogy 1000 draws 400mA at idle.
Is that 4.8 watts ?

The experts don’t agree with you......I’m a beta tester for the most established off grid manufacturer. I have a lab with lab grade equipment

The experts don’t agree with you......I’m a beta tester for the most established off grid manufacturer. I have a lab with lab grade equipment

That was a question. Don't agree with what?

Renogy publicly posts it's idle draw at LESS THAN 1 amp

You can find it at their web site. My meters concur. It's 400mA at idle.

If you want to believe that then you deserve it, Renology,s website does not say that.....believe whatever you want, I don’t want to be bothered with you

If you want to believe that then you deserve it, Renology,s website does not say that.....believe whatever you want, I don’t want to be bothered with you

Sure it does.

It's on their website.
Seems much of what you say and claim is made up randomly.
I posted the screen shot evidence of the draw using a well known and widely accepted monitor.

Bye

Renogy1000_Specs.jpg

I'm curious how many of the pro 12v posters actually live off grid full time without a shore power safety net. Also curious about the people running an inverter and an AC powered fridge full time off grid.

Ive been totally off grid for just under 3 years. I used coolers and ice at first but eventually was given a 20 yr old dorm fridge. I replaced it with a 3.2cu ft ac fridge and freezer for a bigger freezer last month. I couldnt find a 12v unit anywhere near the capacity without spending a lot more money I dont have to throw away. I notice people who live completely off grid tend to have a different experience and expectations than solar hobbiest who live on the grid. Ive also noticed the hobbiest spend waaaay more money on thier hobby than the people who use the solar becuase its thier only option for power.

My wife was using the Dremel to make a kyex holster, the new fridge/freezer was running and my laptop was in use, all 3 were plugged into a heavy duty socket extension on my killawatt. The killawatt was plugged into the 1000w victron psw inverter. The wattage use never spiked above 71 watts in the 3 hours I monitored. It. Running the grinder or heat gun pushed it to 350w. Point being we run a knife shop, holster and sheath shop and live completely off grid with 400w of panels, 215ah of lead acid batteries. No generator, no shore power. We haul water in and go to town once a week. The AC fridge freezer keeps a week of food easy, I couldn't afford a 12v unit that would hold that much food. I know about a dozen other full time off gridders, none of them have a dc freezer or fridge, they all have an AC unit and inverter.

Back