diy solar

diy solar

DC MCB for battery - correct wiring or ?

Vi s

Learning
Hello

I just saw a few YouTube videos about dc circuit breakers going up in flames because of wrong wiring etc..

We use following breaker between our 200Ah 48V Lifepo4 battery and 5kw inverter. It's mainly used to isolate the battery during maintenance work.

DC MCB 24V 48V 96V DZ47 circuit breaker dc 125A 63A 32A DZ47-63 power switch protector For battery car And generator https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtLgHso

Screenshot_2023-04-05-09-49-31-382_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Question is whether this MCB is actually a safety hazard or not since the high and low potential flips during charging vs discharging?

Can anyone shed light on this issue because what i found online wasn't clear to me. It is clear to me how to wire them as well how to read the wiring diagram if the current flows in one direction but what if the current is bidirectional?
I the description of this MCB it states that it is for batteries so it should be designed for bidirectional flow of current right?

Should i better get an MCCB like this?
Not sure where the difference between the MCB above and this MCCB lies but i have seen them frequently installed between battery and inverter. Advantage maybe is that they use ring terminals, more contact area.

DC12V DC24V MCCB Circuit Breaker 150A 200A 250A 300Amp Rated Current for Battery Car https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0IJVzS
Screenshot_2023-04-05-11-45-29-945_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

The general recommendation on the forum when using LiFePO4 batteries is to use a Class T fuse and then a switch rated for your voltage/amperage.

The challenge you'll have with a switch is finding one that is rated for more than 48 volts. Some switches have a hard rating limit of 48 volts. Since your battery will live 99.99% of it's life above 48 volts, a switch like that would not be acceptable.

If I were looking for a breaker in that position, I would be looking at Midnite Solar breakers. But you cannot use a polarized breaker in that position. I don't see anything in the webpage you linked to that indicates if it is polarized. Then again, it doesn't say it isn't. There just aren't enough specifications listed.

Given the cost of LiFePO4 and how powerful they are, don't go cheap on the overcurrent protection.

The general recommendation on the forum when using LiFePO4 batteries is to use a Class T fuse and then a switch rated for your voltage/amperage.

The challenge you'll have with a switch is finding one that is rated for more than 48 volts. Some switches have a hard rating limit of 48 volts. Since your battery will live 99.99% of it's life above 48 volts, a switch like that would not be acceptable.

If I were looking for a breaker in that position, I would be looking at Midnite Solar breakers. But you cannot use a polarized breaker in that position. I don't see anything in the webpage you linked to that indicates if it is polarized. Then again, it doesn't say it isn't. There just aren't enough specifications listed.

Given the cost of LiFePO4 and how powerful they are, don't go cheap on the overcurrent protection.
Many thanks for your input and suggestions!

Will check what i have available here or on AliExpress.

Back