diy solar

diy solar

DC to DC charger for 24V Li battery system - 12V alternator

dstankus14

I am building a new system inside of my 2012 E450 shuttle bus and have decided on the 24V 6Kw Growatt all in one system. The bus has a 12V 220A alternator. I see Victron has a DC to DC 12/24 15A charger but I am wondering how will the all in one units interact with this stand alone charger. Would I need some disconnects to remove the batteries from the All in One when charging with the alternator? Any chance someone else has a set up like this? Let me know if you have any advice or suggestions. I plan on going with a 24V 400Ah Li battery bank.

1617575105954.png

They would probably just work with each other without any problem. You would want to make sure the combined charge rate isn't too high for the battery.

A disconnect between the solar panels and the all in one would be make it so you could still use the inverter part of the all in one, I believe.

Being able to disconnect the alternator charging while driving is a good safety measure.

Since its not possible to drive the vehicle and use shore power at the same time you need not worry. If the engine was running whilst on shore power the two charging sources would get along fine, there is no need to isolate anything.
You need to decide if a 15A charge via the engine is enough for your needs ( compared to a 60A plus from the Growatt). With a 220 A alternator the Victron consumption of around 35A at 12v is well within the capacity, to increase the charge two Vicrton units could be used in parallel.
If there is a need to disable the Victron Orion, the smart version can be disabled via Bluetooth, and both the smart and non smart can be disabled via the control inputs.
Normally there is no need to do this and the voltage sense circuits ensure the unit stays in standby whilst the alternator is not charging.

Mike

Did you choose the Isolated over the non-isolated to avoid backfeeding the system?

Back