diy solar

diy solar

Dedicated setup for a windows ac conditioner

rickygarza20005

Hi i would like to install an windows ac conditioner for my gaming room it gets hot. I just want a setup to power the AC conditioner
any recomendations? the room is like 150 square feet its small

thanks

You'll need to know the draw of the air conditioner and calculate out how many hours you're going to want to run it. Without knowing that you're only stabbing in the dark on how your system will need to be.

So, first step is to pick out an air conditioner and work from there.

OK, so rough numbers large you're going to need 600Wh * 3hrs = 1800Wh. Your bog standard 12v LFP battery is 1280Wh so you'll need 2 batteries a day to feed that. The startup load on a compressor is 3-5x the running load but you can probably get away with a 1500-2000w inverter. Bare minimum you're going to want 500+ watts of panel assuming you get 4 hours of aimed clean sun a day.

You're right on the top edge of a 12v system, it might be worth it to go for a 24v based system. If you did that you could get away with a 30a MPPT controller for that.

Granted, this is all assuming that you have no cloudy days and you'll be depleting and charging full pretty much every day and you have nothing in the tank for longer run times or lousy weather. Personally, given the option I'd double up on the panels, SCC, and battery to give yourself more run time and space for cloudy weather.

In short:

Bare Minimum:
2x 12v 100Ah battery
1500w Pure Sine inverter
40a MPPT controller
550w of solar panels

Recommended:
200Ah 24v battery
2000w Pure Sine Inverter
40a MPPT controller
1000w of solar panel

Breakers, fuses, wires, shunt, etc.

Okay so, how would we do this with a grid tie inverter, a power strip, and 1500w of panels. What kind of battery would I want for that to I guess just smooth it out? I don't know would using the raw solar be best?

With a grid tied inverter? You don't. Completely different applications.

Grid tie takes power you generate and gives it to the power company. In return the power company sells you power at a reduced rate or gives you those watts back for free.

A battery based system keeps the power company from charging you in the first place and keeps them out of the loop.

How about a do it yourself solar generator? Lots of examples out there.

With a grid tied inverter? You don't. Completely different applications.
You can do this with a GTIL for less cost than an off grid setup. You would be limited to the power instantaneously available from the panels, but that may still be an OK ROI since you don’t need a battery.

Legally? No.

diy solar

diy solar
Back