diy solar

diy solar

Designing a Solar system for mini Houseboat

1. The solar diagram is correct- it is 2s2p (not 2c2p) it stands for 2 in series (the left side of the diagram) and 2in parallel (the left and right side together).

2. You do not need to fuse panels that have less than three in parallel. Three in parallel or more REQUIRES a fuse in each parallel section. You may (Will) want to have a solar disconnect so you can “turn the sun off” for maintenance and storage.

3. For the Victron stuff, it is sold by dealers that will provide support (if needed). My Victron dealer is

You may have a good dealer closer to you. Discuss your project with them, send them your plan, let them help you and make sure you haven’t forgotten something.

I will respond more later.

one item I forgot to mention- because Victron inverters have lots of adjustments in the settings, they do need programmed.

There are a couple of options for programming…
1. Some vendors will program to your specs.
2. With a Cerbo connected to the internet, you can download the settings, change them on a computer and reupload them into the inverter.
3. Victron has a MK3 to USB Cable ($68) that you can use to connect the inverter directly to a computer for programming changes.

4 years ago when I built my system, the only option was #3 - so I bought the cable, I used it once for initial programming, and then two more times- once to adjust the charging a tiny bit and one more time because I wanted to relook at a few settings. Because I have the cable I have never bothered to learn the Cerbo process (#2), which is what I would recommend for you. You just have to connect the Cerbo to WIFi during the process. If the boat doesn’t have access to WIFI, you could setup the battery, inverter and Cerbo at home, get it programmed- then install it.

There are several YouTube’s that show both processes.

Good Luck

Back