diy solar

diy solar

Houseboat Solar Plan Feedback

paticus

Hello! I'm looking for critique of my Solar Plan, for my Houseboat. See the attached diagram.

This is my first solar system, so I was hoping to get some feedback on my plan.

I left the communications out of the diagram to de-clutter it, but I want everything to connect to the Cerbo GX. The only thing I am re-using from my old system is the Generator, Solar Panels, and DC/AC breaker panels.

Solar Diagram v1.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a good looking diagram.

I didn’t notice anything incorrect, however, you did not indicate wire sizes nor fuse sizes… put those on the drawing and repost.

1000w of panels- how will they be connected- series, parallel or 2s2p? What is the Voc of the panels?

Solar disconnect - I like having a way to “turn the sun off” for resetting and working on the system.

One other item I like is going to the Dc breaker panel- I added a Victron smart BP-65 (battery protect) (you may need the BP-100). This does 2 things:
1.if a light or load is left on, it will kill the load as the batteries get low - before bms initiates the low voltage cutoff. This makes startup a no issue event - you are not trying to wake up the bms.
2. It lets you kill power to the Dc fuse box to work on it or to reset an item (actually all of them at once).

Good Luck with your project.

So I’m not 100% on the panel wiring. I need to retrace everything from the roof. But if my understanding is correct…

There's a single pair of wires coming down from the roof and connected to the charge controller. The Outback FM60 charge controller was reporting 120 volts. I have 3 panels that are VoC 41volts. So I'm assuming that means they are in series?

IMG_0909.jpeg1701754252383.png

Back