diy solar

diy solar

My first solar system - comments / suggestions needed

dr_MadOx

Hello to everyone.
I'm new in this forum and in solar world.
I'm just starting on my very first off grid system for my cabin that I plan to use 1-2 times in a week.
Be aware that I don't have any previous electrical knowledge, and have just recently started reading on solar systems.
Diagram of the planned system is on the picture and I will gladly recieve any comments/suggestions/critique of it.
P.S. I plan to use inverter, MPPT and battery depicted.
Depending on the needs, in the future I plan to expand the battery capacity.

Attachments

• Bojta solar.jpg
    Bojta solar.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 11
Fuse should go between battery and disconnect.

There is no protection for the 8awg wire between MPPT and battery.

There is no wire gauge listed for battery to inverter.

The PV disconnect must be suitably rated. Make sure it's rated for the PV Voc.

I would personally add a (+) bus bar for battery, MPPT and inverter connection just like the (-).

Thanks for the input.
Below is the updated version.

And thoughts on fuses: Are mega fuses ok with lithium or should I go with class T?

Attachments

• Bojta solar 2.jpg
    Bojta solar 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
Depends on current potential, which depends on system voltage and resistance. Fuses have an AIC rating. Exceed that, and the fuse may not blow, e.g.,

Looking at only battery with 4mΩ resistance, 24V/.004Ω = 6000A - the fuse must have an AIC rating higher than this. May just be called "Interrupting Rating".

This one is only 2000A

When you factor in the conductors and connections, resistance will be higher, and fuse ratings can be lower. I think this is why Victron considers the fuses in their Lynx products adequate when most use Class-T.

Back