diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Hybrid Air Conditioner Safety Disconnect

Biser

The manual for the EG4 12k/18k/24k hybrid air conditioner shows a power disconnect on the AC line and another one on the solar panel input. They require a sign to be posted on the air conditioner that warns you to turn off both power sources before working on the unit. I don't like this even a little bit. If a future service person doesn't understand this sign or if the sign gets damaged by weathering then someone is going to get hurt.

Is anyone aware of a four pole safety switch that's rated for 120 AC as well as 400-600 volts DC? I want to turn everything off from a single switch. It must be weatherproof so that I can mount it near the compressor unit.

There is also a danger mixing AC and DC in the same switch. I understand you do not like it but following the manufacturers recommendations is best practices and may be required by code. Are you pulling a permit for this?

Wired mine (12kbtu) straight to a 20a breaker in the main service panel. Is this not enough?
It is enough if it satisfied the code requirements for where the service disconnect is located.

Hmm interesting they added working space requirements for the disconnect in NEC 2023

Back