diy solar

diy solar

Deye 16KW Single Phase, 30.7KWh LiFePo4 Server Rack batteries

eethon

Hi All, This is my set up. The earth Neutral bond is not correct in the pic but is correct now. I just don't have any pictures at present of that.

Its relatively straight forward, Grid AC Power (230v/50hz live and neutral) from my meter goes into a 100a breaker (fitted by electricity supplier) Then from the breaker the Grid AC goes to 2 x 125a generator transfer switches (so I can have the Grid going to the Inverter or in there is a problem I can completely bypass the Inverter setup and go into the consumer unit (as before the install) all using 25mm tails.

I currently have 8 x 540w solar panels propped up against the fence (these were bought slightly damaged from a commercial solar farm for £50ea) on 1 DC string.

I have a new earth rod 8ft into the ground about 2m from the Inverter that is used to earth the Inverter case and create the earth neutral bond when in Islanding Mode. This was done using a 100a normally closed relay external to the Inverter wired up using the Deye Generator start dry contacts and the Live and Neutral from the Load output.

I currently have it set to Zero Export to load, and time of use set to top the battery charge up at night when the cost is 10p KWh and run the entire house (the load feeds to one of the 125a transfer switches then into the main fuse board) during the day when elec is 45pKwh. With solar Augmenting when available. Our usage is between 6KWh and 10Kwh a day unlessI charge my car. So have approx 3 days reserve if needed.

The Batteries are from Taico and I have 3 x 200ah @51.2V In a standard computer server rack, they are connected with 2 x solid copper bars with a. conductor surface are approx 98mm2 each. I used welding cables to connect to the Inverter with a 120mm2 conductor area. All connections have hydraulic crimped lugs or bootlaces and all cables are inside conduit.

If you can see any obvious mistakes or have any suggestions to make it better/safer please don't hold back.

It has been running for about 4 days without Issue so far. Although I did trip the 200a DC breaker when I put my car on charge and the cooker and a few other bits were on at the same time and on battery only.

tempImagemXju1b.jpg
tempImageazSPb1.jpg
20230301T174415.JPG
Temps Under approx 10KW load
tempImageTvNDur.jpg
tempImageahlTsn.jpg
camphoto_684387517.JPG
20230301T174424.JPG

Very nice!

Questions- How does it use the grid say when there is not enough solar?

What is the idle power consumption?

Are you able to switch to grid only without power loss?

If it’s like the Sol-Ark, you’re getting less charging capability. If connected that way, the Sol-Ark would be limited to 160A versus 275A. I think the 16K is 290A, right?

Could use a busbar or jumper like this:

578B328B-61EF-4D51-B54D-553C511EE9DE.jpeg

Last edited:
If it’s like the Sol-Ark, you’re getting less charging capability. If connected that way, the Sol-Ark would be limited to 160A versus 275A. I think the 16K is 290A, right?

Could use a busbar or jumper like this:

View attachment 138240
It’s 290, would that explain the 200a dc breaker tripping under heavy load? (It was approx 12-14kw) only drawing from the batt. Which are safe up to 300a discharge.

Very nice!

Questions- How does it use the grid say when there is not enough solar?

What is the idle power consumption?

Are you able to switch to grid only without power loss?
It only uses grid if batteries drop below 25%, or 85% between 00:00hrs and 0530hrs (when it tops the batteries up at the cheap rate.

Idle of the Deye I’m not sure I will check. Idle of my whole house deye included is average 200w

I think it has grid pass through although I don’t use it that way.

It’s 290, would that explain the 200a dc breaker tripping under heavy load? (It was approx 12-14kw) only drawing from the batt. Which are safe up to 300a discharge.
The way you have it connected, you’re only taking advantage of one of the 200 amp breakers.

The way you have it connected, you’re only taking advantage of one of the 200 amp breakers.
Yep that would explain it then. Thank you for that. My job for next weekend! I set up a raspberry pie with solar assistant the other day so now have live data etc which is a massive jump from the deye 5 min updating servers!

What is the resistance in ohms on your earth rod?
I think I need mine amended as my ohm reading is way too high at 150.

What is the resistance in ohms on your earth rod?
I think I need mine amended as my ohm reading is way too high at 150.
I am unable to test it as I don’t have a megger, I am trying to find an electrician to check it all over and possibly sign it off. Will have it tested then. I was under the impression anything under 200 was ok?

Last edited:
Back