diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Battery Server Rack - 6 Battery Version

AndreasPassat

Just wanted to share some input (and my opinion) on the EG4 LL Server Rack I just received.

I didn't get a picture when the pallet arrived at my work, but the unit was mounted to the pallet upside down and now there's a portion of the top surface that's bent. Not a showstopper but it's just one of those things that could've been avoided had someone been paying attention or cared.
Ultimately when this install is complete it will be in the corner of my garage / shop, so esthetics are not that high of a priority for me.
I don't like it but I don't want the hassle of getting it replaced either. Going through that ordeal with Signature Solar now on a Mini Split unit, what a nightmare that is. But that's a whole other story for a different post.

Back on topic.

I rate the build and quality of this server rack at average or just slightly below average.

I will admit I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box inside the server cabinet and saw leveling plate casters instead plain old casters. Those types of casters are of much higher quality than regular ones. The ability to adjust a solid rubber pad to take the weight off the caster wheel and make the cabinet nice and sturdy so it doesn't have any ability to roll around if pushed on is assuring.
IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

This I don't quite understand the cable glands on the bottom of the cabinet.

IMG_6019.JPG

If used there's only about 1-1/2" of clearance above the floor for wire / cable.

IMG_6020.JPG

There's a video (link below) out there with Signature Solar talking about the differences between the (2) server racks that handle the LifePower4 and the EG4 LL series batteries.

S.S. states that the new EG4 LL server racks are fully welded instead assembled like the LifePower4 racks.
That's fine but I found this a bit odd, bracket was originally screwed in and then welded. All brackets are the same, screwed on then welded.
For me, it would have been nicer if the angle steel bracket were turned around, so the screw is on the bottom making the installation of the batteries a bit easier.
These batteries are heavy. Not everyone can maneuver these batteries around with ease. It would make sliding the batteries in just a bit easier for the people that aren't as strong as the next person. (Just a personal observation)

A note about the "Fully Assembled" claim mentioned on the S.S. website.
I think that means all of the screws are screwed into place for the battery mounting and busbar connections.
Admittingly, seeing all of the screws in place makes it as simplistic as possible to visually show all hardware is present.
However, all battery mounting screws must be removed from each slot that will be occupied before any battery installation can take place.
Also, the above referenced video S.S. mentions removing the battery handles for better wiring clearances after installation. I was able to leave my handles on without any issue. I'm guessing the rack I purchased has yet another slight revision with the busbar location than one in the video.

IMG_6021.JPG

That cheesy little crossbar in the center I'm guessing is for shipping purposes only. I removed and discarded it.

IMG_6022.JPG

Here's a shot of the busbar(s).
Those really need to be revised and improved upon.

There are (3) different screws on the busbar. (2) of them look the same but are not.

NOTE:
I just realized I need to clarify this a bit better with different colored arrows. I will add another post after I double check the screw locations and screw lengths.

There are total of (16) screws per busbar.
Ten of them are M6 thread. Four of them are for mounting the busbar to the cabinet (short threaded length).
Six of them are for the battery connections (long threaded length). It is extremely hard to discern which ones are which.
You definitely want to be sure you're connecting the batteries to the proper M6 screw. It is entirely possible to connect the battery cables to the (4) screws that mount the busbar to the cabinet. If those are used for battery connections, you run the risk of stripping out the thread standoff when torquing the screw to the specified torque value.
The remaining (6) screws are M8 thread and are for mounting the Battery Server Rack to the Inverter.

Another observation I had; the busbar has some kind of plastic sleeve on it. The sleeve has cut-outs around the screws so that when the cable lug is attached to the busbar it makes full electrical contact. Problem is that the cut-outs aren't concentric around the screw and some of them are so bad that when the cable lug is attached its contacting plastic instead of full face contact on the busbar.

Because everything I mentioned above, I actually removed the busbar to find out what screws are what and check the condition of this plastic sleeve.

IMG_6023.JPG

Here's an example of that plastic that gets in the way of making full face contact. That's insane!

IMG_6026.JPG

I actually reversed both bus bars to make sure all electrical contacts are the proper way.
Here is the busbar as I recieved the cabinet.
Notice the large exposed area (red circle) before I reversed the busbar.

IMG_6024.JPG

Here is the same busbar reversed.
The battery cable connections line up much better with no risk of cable lug contacting the plastic film.
A few of the main lug connections are no good but I found locations that are of no risk.

IMG_6027.JPG

Last edited:
Continuing on...

Positive busbar reversed.

IMG_6028.JPG

Batteries installed.
The left side gets kind of crowded with the busbar and the communication cables. Hopefully they make some revisions further down the road to clean that up a bit.

The other thing about these busbars; they need to be about 6 inches longer and the spacing between the battery cable connections on the busbar need to be repositioned. The busbar spacing doesn't even come close to matching the battery terminal spacing. Makes for a messy cable installation.

IMG_6031.JPG

Personally, I think the busbar issue needs to be resolved sooner than later as it poses some particular risks, in my opinion anyways.

The system is working fine but I will be making my own busbars to alleviate all of these issues.
When I get those done I will post with updates.

Have one of these racks on order for my 4 Lifepower4 batteries. Interesting to see the issues and solutions...

Newbie here, ok, I am reading the my manuals for the rack and my batteries (2 EG4 LL) both say to ground the batteries and the rack, yet I can't find any specifications on wire gauge used to ground. Secondly, I have nread numerous posts here and I have watched MANY YouTube videos, including Will Prouse, Sig Solar, DavidPoz, etc., and it seems no one is using the ground terminal on the side to the batteries in their builds. I AM CONFUSED! Am I grounding the batteries to the rack and the rack to the ground bus bar in the EG4 6000XP? Do I even need to? I and a 20 year avionics technician, so I appreciate the fact of importance of grounding whether a chassis ground and/or earth ground. So, I need an answer or I won't sleep well, just kidding...maybe. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 1711040379798.png
    1711040379798.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 3
I plugged all the bottom holes. Had no issue lining up batteries to implied entry point on bus bars. So long as each cable to the battery is the same length, you're ok.

1711041098054.png

Newbie here, ok, I am reading the my manuals for the rack and my batteries (2 EG4 LL) both say to ground the batteries and the rack, yet I can't find any specifications on wire gauge used to ground. Secondly, I have nread numerous posts here and I have watched MANY YouTube videos, including Will Prouse, Sig Solar, DavidPoz, etc., and it seems no one is using the ground terminal on the side to the batteries in their builds. I AM CONFUSED! Am I grounding the batteries to the rack and the rack to the ground bus bar in the EG4 6000XP? Do I even need to? I and a 20 year avionics technician, so I appreciate the fact of importance of grounding whether a chassis ground and/or earth ground. So, I need an answer or I won't sleep well, just kidding...maybe. Thank you in advance!
I bolted the ground strap to the rail at the back that goes through the conduit to the main panel ground (drilled a hole, sanded it smooth, hydraulic crimped the 6ga ring connector the the wire, bolted it on, baremetal primed after it was done). tested continuity using an extension cord from a different outlet. All batteries are subsequently grounded through the framework as intended with no extra wires.
1711041300836.png

Grounding the rack is not necessary unless local AHJ codes requires it.

Grounding the rack is not necessary unless local AHJ codes requires it.
Hi, thanks for the quick response. May I ask one favor when talking to newbies, no acronyms without the long name with it. For example AHJ meaning "Authority Having Jurisdiction" right? I am prior military and we love acronyms, but when technical writing we had to spell it out too, less confusing. Anyway, I know rural Maine just uses National Electrical Code (NEC)so now I have to search the NEC codes. Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for the quick response. May I ask one favor when talking to newbies, no acronyms without the long name with it. For example AHJ meaning "Authority Having Jurisdiction" right? I am prior military and we love acronyms, but when technical writing we had to spell it out too, less confusing. Anyway, I know rural Maine just uses National Electrical Code (NEC)so now I have to search the NEC codes. Thanks again!
AHJ would be for Authority Having Jurisdiction. Apologies for any confusion.

Back