diy solar

diy solar

Server-style rack help

flammafeuer

Anyone find or develop a (semi-)mobile solution for rack batteries, that is "affordable" (<= $125)?

I'm struggling to find an affordable solution for storing my server rack batteries. I tried out a server rack in my budget, which advertised that it could handle the weight of my two Aolithium rack batteries, but the caster mounts buckled. Has anyone found any nice solutions for a semi-mobile energy storage solution? I'm working in a small space, and I anticipate needing to move these 104 lb batteries (total = 208 + rack weight) frequently.

I'm considering just building something out of 2x4s and plywood, which could accept casters, but would prefer something that is known to be able to carry that weight.

Depending on where you are, check Craiglist, Kijiji and similar for any "surplus" computer server or telecom racks.
Another source is Networking & Telecommunications installation companies, they have to dispose of removed gear and usually have it available to people "if" they ask...

Alternatively, you can build your own using Box Tube & Angle Steel (cut & bolted together) or weld if you can.

Yeah cheap amazon racks suck unfortunately. As Steve said, only prebuilt thing in that price range would be if you get lucky and find someone offloading a network rack.

I tried out a server rack in my budget, which advertised that it could handle the weight of my two Aolithium rack batteries, but the caster mounts buckled.
If the rest of the rack was adequate and just the casters/support for them failed, re-build the base of the cabinet.
if this is steel and you are able - strengthen it with steel.
If you're more comfortable working with wood, a double layer of plywood fastened to the bottom may be all you need to provide support for some heavy casters.

I haven't found the answer yet, but I bought a dolly platform/cart to put the batteries on, in the meantime, and that is working well around my house, but when I get to my land, where I also need it to be a little but mobile (move 200+ lbs a several feet at a time, maybe a few times a day), I would need bigger wheels. I could see sort of mounting the server rack or a box to something like this.

Just internet search "21 inch equipment rack". Most do not have the front to back support for batteries so you would most likely have to add aluminum angle brackets. In addition you will have to replace the casters/wheels to something more substantial, might event have to make a new caster/wheel base to sit the rack on.

I haven't found the answer yet, but I bought a dolly platform/cart to put the batteries on, in the meantime, and that is working well around my house, but when I get to my land, where I also need it to be a little but mobile (move 200+ lbs a several feet at a time, maybe a few times a day), I would need bigger wheels. I could see sort of mounting the server rack or a box to something like this.
Are you moving the platform to follow the sun around the property?

I use a proper ATA-style road case (8u) for (2) server rack batteries. These are designed for touring pro audio amplifier racks - heavy duty, roll easily, great protection, and overkill honestly. Typically these are custom built by speciality case companies, but they are easily found used, and you can find ones online from EWI or ProX that are mass manufactured and still decent quality.

The cheaper option - buy a simple cart/dolly, or make your own dolly board with proper 4" casters and some 3/4" plywood (use T-nuts to secure the casters). Just place the batteries on top of the dolly, and/or run a ratchet strap around it all to secure it - it's not going anywhere. Or you could run a strip of wood (or rack rails) to secure the batteries together, and an L-bracket to secure the rails to the dolly board. If you want to wheel these around "off road" - get a garden cart - the Gorilla style or similar with larger 8" wheels.

Back