diy solar

diy solar

Deye inverters and external electronic meters.

crossy

Solar Addict
Our two 5kW Deye hybrids are working very nicely with an Eastron SDM230 meter instead of the CT. Seems to control zero-export much more accurately than the supplied CT (which was probably at the cable distance limit anyway).

Minor issue is that when the grid is down so is the meter, the inverter responds with an annoyed beeping and a message to check the meter. Surely it knows the grid is down and shouldn't be alarming. Anyone know how to mute or disable?

Also, I'm going to add a grid-tie inverter to the Gen port, I see a setting to have a meter there but no indication if there can actually be two meters or what address to set it to. Any ideas??

Also, I'm going to add a grid-tie inverter to the Gen port, I see a setting to have a meter there but no indication if there can actually be two meters or what address to set it to. Any ideas??
What setting do you mean and why would you want meter on gen port?

Our two 5kW Deye hybrids are working very nicely with an Eastron SDM230 meter instead of the CT. Seems to control zero-export much more accurately than the supplied CT (which was probably at the cable distance limit anyway).
My experience using the sdm629 as well
Minor issue is that when the grid is down so is the meter, the inverter responds with an annoyed beeping and a message to check the meter. Surely it knows the grid is down and shouldn't be alarming. Anyone know how to mute or disable?
You can either disable the beep, or ignore ;)
To the best of my knowledge , you can use only 1

Unchecking "Beep" fixed that annoyance :)

It would be a shame if it can't handle two meters, I wonder how much extra info it would give if used with the meter in the grid-tie to the Gen input.

I may email Deye support, you never know they could add the functionality to a later release.

I'm looking at the lower KW documentation I'll take a look at the 8kw when I have a decent internet connection.
There's a few options for grid tie wiring in my documentation some of which use the AC side rather than the gen port though the explanation of settings seems I bit confusing, the additional modbus stuff seems to refer to 3 phase meters rather than additional meters from what I can understand. Maybe fitting your grid tie to the AC input side means only 1 meter is needed and the Deye will throttle grid output to include the grid tie.
After looking at your last post I can see there's obviously differences according to adding a grid tie but it seems to be modbus+CT not 2x modbus.

Last edited:
These inverters are far cleverer than I am, and the "manual" is more of a Quick Start Guide.

What would be really nice is an Advanced User Manual, but I doubt that is going to be forthcoming. Hence the existence of fora like this.

What revision of documentation is this I thought you had 8kw versions for some reason the documents I have are also for the 5kw but this page isn't on it.

"Ver 2.2 2024-04-22" which came with the inverters, screenshots are from the latest download from the Deye website which is "Ver 2.2 2024-03-26". The relevant bits appear to be identical.

"Ver 2.2 2024-04-22" which came with the inverters, screenshots are from the latest download from the Deye website which is "Ver 2.2 2024-03-26". The relevant bits appear to be identical.
Yep I had 2.1 just grabbed 2.2 now I'll take a look.

From looking at the documentation it seems connecting the grid tie to the gen port only really applies if you wish it to also charge batteries but then the gen input will open if your batteries are full otherwise on the AC input side it will stay on constantly. I know you have a fair bit of storage but how often is it full? Do you need the grid tie to charge? Obviously adding to the AC side will lower your meter accuracy as your inverters are again relying on a ct. Not sure what the benefits of the on-grid in the load side are other than a disconnect when the grid is out but then it claims your power readings are all going to be out of wack as far as load. Almost every option has it's downfalls it seems.

Should have sold the grid tie and bought another Deye yesterday in the sales when they were under $1000.

The GTI is essentially worthless, it's a China-only version with the display in Chinese, it works just fine otherwise (but don't ask me to change any settings).

We are fairly heavy users, 70kWh of storage which gets down to 50% overnight when family are here, and "you can never have too much generation", the GTI would really just be providing another two high-voltage MPPTs.

If I can use it without needing significant investment, great. If not, it can sit on the shelf.

"Grid Side INV Meter 2"

View attachment 227413

But it looks like it doesn't apply to Gen-port Mode IV anyway.
View attachment 227414
It seems my 3-phase Deye 12K is somewhat different as my advanced function menu has no "Grid Side INV Meter2" option at all. I'm using Eastron SDM630 V2 as my CT meter (both my Deyes need their own Eastron to work), but I can monitor my GEN port AC coupled GTIs through my Deyes without any additional meter. At least Deye 12K seems to have internal CT to do that.

Lately I have disconnected AC coupling and my two Bluesun 15K GTIs are just connected parallel (GRID port) to my Deyes. Somehow my Deyes seem still to be able to use GTIs export power (when production is bigger than my loads) to "grid charge" my batts. They only use excess power as grid charge isn't allowed in TOU settings. It has to use my Eastron data and do grid charge only up to a point where it sees export power is available. It doesn't use utility power at all to do this. I haven't heard/seen this ever before and there's no mention in manual how to do this. Funny thing is that I don't know what settings I have changed by accident to accomplish this. My setup is working really nicely together with my GTIs now and when batts get full GTIs continue working like normal, unlike they would if they were AC coupled. Only downside I see is that during outage my GTIs shut off but outages are really rare here now that all utility lines are underground.

It seems my 3-phase Deye 12K is somewhat different as my advanced function menu has no "Grid Side INV Meter2" option at all. I'm using Eastron SDM630 V2 as my CT meter (both my Deyes need their own Eastron to work), but I can monitor my GEN port AC coupled GTIs through my Deyes without any additional meter. At least Deye 12K seems to have internal CT to do that.

Lately I have disconnected AC coupling and my two Bluesun 15K GTIs are just connected parallel (GRID port) to my Deyes. Somehow my Deyes seem still to be able to use GTIs export power (when production is bigger than my loads) to "grid charge" my batts. They only use excess power as grid charge isn't allowed in TOU settings. It has to use my Eastron data and do grid charge only up to a point where it sees export power is available. It doesn't use utility power at all to do this. I haven't heard/seen this ever before and there's no mention in manual how to do this. Funny thing is that I don't know what settings I have changed by accident to accomplish this. My setup is working really nicely together with my GTIs now and when batts get full GTIs continue working like normal, unlike they would if they were AC coupled. Only downside I see is that during outage my GTIs shut off but outages are really rare here now that all utility lines are underground.
Not sure about crossy's area but where I am we have outages fairly regularly it's the whole reason my wife's actually ok with the idea of solar.

Not sure about crossy's area but where I am we have outages fairly regularly it's the whole reason my wife's actually ok with the idea of solar.

Yeah, it has improved but it's still decent rain = grid off. And the chap who puts the drop-fuses back in won't come until the rain stops.

We've had (almost) whole-house UPS for a couple of years, it's only recently that we've got to the point where we could actually go off grid and still maintain our existing lifestyle.

The only negative is, of course, the neighbours knowing we have power and WiFi and sending their kids to "do their homework" whilst mum and dad eat my food and drink my alcohol whilst gassing with Madam.

Of course, she's now gone hyper-green and decreed that our next car will be an EV! I can see needing to put panels on the chicken-house as all other flat roof space is now full.

Yeah, it has improved but it's still decent rain = grid off. And the chap who puts the drop-fuses back in won't come until the rain stops.

We've had (almost) whole-house UPS for a couple of years, it's only recently that we've got to the point where we could actually go off grid and still maintain our existing lifestyle.

The only negative is, of course, the neighbours knowing we have power and WiFi and sending their kids to "do their homework" whilst mum and dad eat my food and drink my alcohol whilst gassing with Madam.

Of course, she's now gone hyper-green and decreed that our next car will be an EV! I can see needing to put panels on the chicken-house as all other flat roof space is now full.
Do what we did get a variety of 30+kg dogs, no one visits us even family.

Oh yes we had geese they owned the farm and surrounding area until they got had by the local cobras(likely picked a fight with them)

We have Guinea Fowl (Gai Tok) which are supposed to take on snakes, they do eat those big, bitey, centipedes mind!
Even the chickens will it's just geese and ducks that seem to have issues with the snakes. We have kings and monocled on the farm the kings are amazing and no trouble but the monocled have little man syndrome and want to pick fights with everything luckily there's plenty of kraits also which eat them as well as the kings and anything that gets in the yard gets ripped to shreds by a dozen or so malinois.

Makes sense for you guys but I have no idea what the rest of Thailand are going to do with this EV push. The grid can hardly handle all the AC units when it's hot let alone 50,000 ev's drawing 2mWh from the grid a day. Loas is already exporting so much electricity here its own citizens are going without power.

diy solar

diy solar
Back