diy solar

diy solar

Deye UL Hybrid for off grid?

Snowynorth

I have a new Deye 7.6k hybrid UL split phase version. The specs will cover our needs. I'm wondering if it's a good option for off grid only, with a 120v generator for back up? Or should I start over with an off grid only AIO? I plan to install 12 to 16 longi 425 watt, 2s1p, and a 48v 200 to 300 ah diy or pre made battery. (not sure yet) There is a guy here who builds diy, and uses quality cells and bms.

Any issues with monitoring, or updating Deye in North America.?
Does it play nice, and easy to set up with various battery BMS?

I'm not solar savvy but will learn. I'm going to do the grunt work, and hire a solar electrician to wire it up. The grid is right out of the equation, huge money (a few years ago for sure more now) to run power in, then pay heavy even when we aren't at our cabin.

I appreciate any impute.

Last edited:
No experience with Deye but a NA version is a rare commodity these days. Consider yourself lucky. If the price was good, I can't imagine a good reason to give it up and buy something like a Growatt.

No one has or had one of the Deye split phase?
I'm running 2 5kW (split phase) units in parallel with grid assist zero feedback and I love them.
I did not run them in off grid mode yet but I expect they will doing good there also.
The setup can be a little awkward but manageable.
I build my own batteries with a seplos BMS working fine.
Good luck.

they are the same as sol-ark's, as that is the brand name used exclusively in the usa for deye.

you should be able to find plenty of topics and youtube videos on them

they're very good inverters

@RayfromTX is also using them for his own and a friends setup, has 6 of them running/getting ready to run

Thanks for the info. I went on youtube. I couldn't find much regarding the spit phase NA units. Some info from Asia, and Africa on single phase.

Last edited:
Any issues with monitoring, or updating Deye in North America.?
No issues, works fine.

Does it play nice, and easy to set up with various battery BMS?
They have a few protocols built-in but you need to be pretty savvy about knowing which is which from a DIY standpoint. Best to buy a BMS or battery bank fully tested with Deye.

I did do a search, but couldn't find much about best bms, or battery banks to use. I'm sure I missed something. Building a battery does interest me, because of cost, ability to keep some spare parts, and I just simply like to learn. At the same time I know DC is nothing to take lightly. I've seen what it can do. Maybe the noob should stick to a pre built battery. I've been batting that around for a while now. I really do appreciate impute. I'm sure I'll be scratching my head a lot more before I get the lights on later this spring.

I did do a search, but couldn't find much about best bms, or battery banks to use. I'm sure I missed something. Building a battery does interest me, because of cost, ability to keep some spare parts, and I just simply like to learn. At the same time I know DC is nothing to take lightly. I've seen what it can do. Maybe the noob should stick to a pre built battery. I've been batting that around for a while now. I really do appreciate impute. I'm sure I'll be scratching my head a lot more before I get the lights on later this spring.
You will be fine. DC is actually safer to work with than AC. Making a battery is simple; you just need a BMS that works with Deye.

You will be fine. DC is actually safer to work with than AC. Making a battery is simple; you just need a BMS that works with Deye.
A list of good Bluetooth, temp sensor BMS that plays nice with deye, would be great.
I'm still a bit gun shy, and I have a good vendor who has and will treat me right for pre built, and cells. Who knows, there is a group of us who need batteries, most want pre built. Maybe I'll buy the cells and bms from them and try one.

A list of good Bluetooth, temp sensor BMS that plays nice with deye, would be great.
I'm still a bit gun shy, and I have a good vendor who has and will treat me right for pre built, and cells. Who knows, there is a group of us who need batteries, most want pre built. Maybe I'll buy the cells and bms from them and try one.
It's a matter of cost. A rack battery will cost you double or even 5-times as much if you went with an expensive one such as Battleborn.

go for the seplos bms'es.
they officially support deye and deye seplos.
quality bms

And there is no sense in not buying good quality, either way. I sure wouldn't buy anything battery related direct from china. A good NA vendor deserves to make a buck in my mind, just for weeding out the good from the bad suppliers for their products.

go for the seplos bms'es.
they officially support deye and deye seplos.
quality bms
I think I have battery solved. (maybe) There is a guy here who builds batteries with JBD bms, and eve a cells. Priced reasonable. Anyone know if JBD and Deye play nice?

I contacted Deye, and asked for a list of supported BMS. They sent me a list of supported batteries. I emailed back. No response. There is a guy here that builds batteries with eve A cells he buys from Texas. The cost is little more then if I build myself.

Anybody have a list of Deye supported BMS? Seplos BMS is not readily available to him. Order from China and wait.

I'm getting to crunch time, and he is down to enough cells for 4 more 48v-280 ah batteries in stock. He has JBD BMS, but says they won't communicate with my inverter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back