diy solar

diy solar

Help for newbie on how a hybrid works with the grid

robertcrotty14

I live in EU and I am looking at around 8KW of panels and using Deye microinverters as a second phase of implementation. Peak daily usage / consumption is around 40 - 50 KW in summer with a pool heater and aircon.

I currently have 2KW via 4 panels and a Deye 2KW microinverter as a first phase / DIY set up to help me introduce myself to the world of solar and size my initial system whilst also allowing market prices to fall post Covid / supply constraints.

In a third phase then adding a Deye / Sunsynk 6KW hybrid Gen port to ultimately add a battery of circa 15 - 30 KWH when the economics justify.

My house has a 10KW grid connection.

The question in my mind is if I added the Deye / Sunsynk 6KW hybrid but the load needed 10KW would the hybrid supply 6KW and allow 4KW from the grid to meet the 10KW load demand?

I live in EU and I am looking at around 8KW of panels and using Deye microinverters as a second phase of implementation. Peak daily usage / consumption is around 40 - 50 KW in summer with a pool heater and aircon.

I currently have 2KW via 4 panels and a Deye 2KW microinverter as a first phase / DIY set up to help me introduce myself to the world of solar and size my initial system whilst also allowing market prices to fall post Covid / supply constraints.

In a third phase then adding a Deye / Sunsynk 6KW hybrid Gen port to ultimately add a battery of circa 15 - 30 KWH when the economics justify.

My house has a 10KW grid connection.

The question in my mind is if I added the Deye / Sunsynk 6KW hybrid but the load needed 10KW would the hybrid supply 6KW and allow 4KW from the grid to meet the 10KW load demand?
A few things.

First, any power you generate via a grid tie converter goes into your house supply. From the meter's perspective, it powers your loads first and feeds back to the grid second. (This 2kW is approved, right?)

Once you add the hybrid you will be able to set it to zero export if you like. This is a mode where you use all your locally generated power first. If you are generating more than you need excess will go to battery. If you are generating less than you need excess will come from either battery or grid. When the battery gets low it will switch back to grid 100%.

My primary question is if the hybrid inverter is 6KW and assuming PV and battery available for 6KW but the load / house use is 10KW then does the inverter control / allow the extra 4KW to be passed through from the grid to meet the load?

I think you are saying that the 4KW in the example above would come from the grid and I don’t need a 10KW inverter or 2 x 6KW inverter in parallel.

Apologies, but this is the bit I just want to be fully clear about.

Last edited:
Back