diy solar

diy solar

Help with Hybrid Inverter Setup

rgomez

First, I want to thank you for the time and help with this inquiry!

I am new to solar system but I want to put a hybrid system in my house in Panama (We used US standard so split phase 120V/240V). I am interested in the Deye 8kW Hybrid inverter but I am having a hard time to understand the inverter rating I need to choose. Under a regular day my load may be 4-7kW; however, when I am using the watching machine and other appliances it may spikes to 14-15kW. My question is: for the Deye inverter the combine output power (Grid+Solar/Battery) can go beyond the rating of the inverter like the below picture? If the answer if no, then the solution will be to put all my home load before the inverter (basically On-grid system) and put a transfer switch to switch from grid to "Load" output of the inverter when the grid is down (off-grid mode). Right?

In the case the answer if the transfer switch method, do I need to also isolated the neutral as well? or just L1 and L2? The grid here does not provide a PE. I have a copper rod.

Thanks again for your time!!

1702337026399.png

Attachments

• 1702336915791.png
    1702336915791.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 1
Under a regular day my load may be 4-7kW; however, when I am using the watching machine and other appliances it may spikes to 14-15kW.
Welcome to the forum!

Many people intermix kW and kWh, it's easy to do. Power vs. Energy. It sounds like you might be also.

kW = power usage at that instant. Most 8kW inverters can surge to 15 kW or more for at least a few seconds but I don't think that's the issue here.

kWh = daily energy usage and that's what you'd find on your electric providers dashboard

Once we hear back from you we can better answer the other questions.

Last edited:
For my loads on my Outback inverter, The ones I want run by the inverter are moved from the main panel to the critical loads panel.

These breakers that are removed over are actually empty on the main panel. To avoid someone sticking their finger in and killing themselves, usually its breaker stays in the main panel and the wires are moved over along with a new circuit breaker put in.

So, for your example of the washing machine pulling too much, that would stay on the main panel, but the other items that pull 4-8 kW would move to the critical load panel.

I am unfamiliar with the Dye inverter, but I have an Outback Tier 1, and that has a huge start up surge capability. So I can add up to the inverter rated running loads, so the circuits I added would be no more than 7.3 kW when turned on.

These 7.3 kW of loads get run through the Critical Loads panel. There could be more than 7.3 kW turned on, so we would need to be sure not to run the Air Fryer, and install at at the same time as the AIr conditioner and Lights.

If the Dye is not Tier 1, you may need to put a little less in the critical loads panel.

I have attached a diagram Outback put out and I hope that makes sense.

IMG_1387.jpeg
The way I set up my critical / Backup loads panel, is the kitchen is run from it, but everything else isn’t. The critical loads can be powered by the grid, or in case of power outage powered by the inverter.

Back