diy solar

diy solar

Difference between MPPT Inverter and MPPT Solar Charger?

An all-in-one unit comes to mind vs separate single function components
MPPT solar charge controller + inverter + auto transfer switch combined into a single unit

I know what a Solar Charger is, but what is an MPPT Inverter?
A charger takes power in and converts it to what a battery needs to be charged.
* A "Solar" Charger (more often referred to as a "Charge Controller") takes Solar Panel power and coverts it to battery DC power for charging.
* A (regular) Charger usually plugs into the wall and converters 120v -> battery DC voltage for charging.

MPPT is an algorithm used by "Charge Controllers" to optimized Solar Panel power -> Battery charging power. Solar Panel power is messy because it goes up/down every few minutes as clouds and other things change the amount of sun hitting the panels. MPPT smooths this out.

An inverter takes battery power (DC) and converts it to AC for 240/120v use.

Charge Controllers and Inverters can be purchased separately as distinct pieces of equipment.

An "all-in-one" (MPP Solar an GrowWatt are examples) has a Charge Controller + Inverter + other stuff - all in one unit to simplify things but inside, they are distinct pieces of electronic equipment.

Last edited:
An all-in-one unit comes to mind vs separate single function components
MPPT solar charge controller + inverter + auto transfer switch combined into a single unit
I had seen some regular "inverters" on ebay that were advertised as a MPPT Solar Inverter (not the all-in-ones)'

I had seen some regular "inverters" on ebay that were advertised as a MPPT Solar Inverter (not the all-in-ones)'
Can you share a link or actual add to show the wording? Advertising can be misleading sometimes :)

When I type in "MPP Solar Inverter" to ebay I get all-in-one units like this:
1631550441840.png

Can you share a link or actual add to show the wording? Advertising can be misleading sometimes :)

When I type in "MPP Solar Inverter" to ebay I get all-in-one units like this:
View attachment 64453

Those would be considered an AIO. There is a built in MPPT charge controller.

I suppose it's useful to say MPPT inverter since there is at least one AIO I know of that has a PWM charger built in

This is a very illegal (and dangerous) PV grid tie micro inverter that plugs into a wall outlet. It takes in PV panel power and pushes AC power to grid.

If you have it powered with PV panels, if you pull plug from wall outlet the AC prongs will likely have AC 120v for a second or two before it shuts down.

By itself it will not power any loads. If you have a utility smart meter and your consumption is low, this device can get you in trouble with electric utility company by pushing power into the grid.

Last edited:
This is a very illegal (and dangerous) PV grid tie micro inverter that plugs into a wall outlet. It takes in PV panel power and pushes AC power to grid.
The photo/ actual inverter appearance is somewhat misleading, it looks like what most would consider a normal inverter.
I missed that although it says "Grid Tie Inverter" on the photo. To confirm I Googled and found the actual listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164854203112

This inverter is NOT to be considered for use in a off grid system.
s-l1600.jpg

The photo/ actual inverter appearance is somewhat misleading, it looks like what most would consider a normal inverter.
I missed that although it says "Grid Tie Inverter" on the photo. To confirm I Googled and found the actual listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164854203112

This inverter is NOT to be considered for use in a off grid system.
s-l1600.jpg
Yeah....that 'Grid Tie Inverter' is the krap! :)

Back