diy solar

diy solar

Different Growatt chargers will not work together

Bossrox

Solar tinkerer
This is really odd. I have a dual 48v & 24v system, the 48v system has 2 80 amp growatt chargers & they work fabulous together. My 24v system has a victron 150/100 & a growatt 120 amp working great together. I added an 80 amp growatt to the 24v system & both growatts quit working.

I thought maybe the victron was causing an issue & disconnected it. In the morning I go in to see what's going on & both growatts are working but here's the weird issue. The 120 amp was taking the lead as master, as soon as the charging reached the level where the 80 amp growatt slave wasn't needed, it would never resume charging again even after shutting down all panel power to the 120. Then, once the 120 is done charging, it won't come back up either. WTF?

So conclusion here is, combining different model Growatts won't work. I'll have to order another growatt 120 amp to find out if there'll be the same issue.

The cost of growatts chargers are exceptionally reasonable & generally do an acceptable job for me so I don't expect to get a perfect product but there's 1 other annoying issue that's so sloppy of them. Of the 4 growatt chargers I have, none of them will display the correct voltage. 1 of them is off by a whole volt, & that's such a crappy nuisance growatt needs to fix along with the non compatibility of mixing chargers & really degrades my opinion of this brand over important stuff that shouldn't be an issue.

Unless all chargers connected are using the same length and size wire. And charging at the same amperage rate. I wouldn't expect them to display the same voltage.
Have you compared the displayed voltage to the reading of a digital meter?

Voltage calibration on the Growatt's could be a long way off whereby the "lazy" one thinks the battery voltage is higher so it stops charging.

Back