diy solar

diy solar

Will Solar Assistant work with Growatt hybrid tl-xh inverter when gridtied ?

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
I am using home assistant to monitor my 3 solar systems

for my off grid system I use Solar Assistant and also mqtt the data to HA
for my antique SMA sunnyboy gridtied system I use emporia vue and its HA integration, nothing else avbl

for my new Growatt 7.6 tl-xh I am now also using emporia vue data sent to HA, as the growatt integration in Home Assistant, I have found the data even more delayed than emporia

the issue is my impatience / ocd issues. the HA data sent from emporia is the 1 minute sampling and then takes another minute to get to HA.
when you look at my HA display with all 3 solar systems, the solar assistant data is constantly updated and the emporia data is 2 minutes old.
This does not make me happy.....

possible solutions
I have an extra PI4b, I could buy another Solar Assist license, if I could at least get data on current PV data from the gridtied Growatt

I have looked at this Grott program on Home Assistant where the growatt inverter sends its data to Home Assistant and it is then forwarded on to the growatt server. This seems a bit over my head to setup in home assistant

I could buy another emporia vue and do the hack to make its data local only and then it sends to Home Assistant, this would allow for 1 second sampling rate, again I think maybe beyond my experience

so the solar assistant license would be cheapest, easiest and I am familiar with it.

can I use SA on a growatt hybrid with no batteries and send PV data to home Assistant ? can I use a second solar assistant data in home assistant and will HA know which is which ?

any better ideas ??

here is my Home Assistant dashboard
S is data from Solar Assistant
E is data from Emporia vue
C is data that is calculated from other values

test99.jpg

Growatt works with Solar Assistant in any configuration (grid tied/off grid/hybrid), so there is no problem there.

To get multiple SA connections into Home Assistant (HA) you would want to run the mqtt broker in HA and configure SA to report to the broker.

Then in each SA use a different “topic_prefix” so each SA looks different so your mqtt integration in HA will show all the devices.

There are probably a few little things I’m overlooking but it absolutely should be possibly to get multiple mqtt feeds from multiple SA installations into HA.

By they way I would recommend standing up a virgin instance of HA and get it working there since trial and error on your production HA instance will muck up your entities . ?

Solar assistant is working well for me with my growatt min. I don't have a battery connected to it so I'm not seeing the issues @MajicDiver is seeing.

They had a recent update so all 4 mppts are showing.

It also shows grid import and export data if you connect the acrel meter to the growatt

Overall it improves the monitoring of the growatt 1000%

Btw, this is how you connect it

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_062130175~2.jpg
    IMG_20231222_062130175~2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 7
SA only gets/displays data for the first 2 mppt inputs. Battery charge/discharging power is improperly scaled (grossly). Other stuff really goofy also. IMO, SA is not ready for use with the Growatt MIN-xxxx-TL-XH-US
The Beta version released yesterday properly gets data from the batteries. Currently it will only communicate with a single Growatt MIN-xxxx-TL-XH-US but they are working on fixing that and several other issues. When I first got it a few weeks ago was very disappointed in its lack of functionality on this inverter but I am glad to find him responsive and fixing/adding stuff that should be there

The Beta version released yesterday properly gets data from the batteries. Currently it will only communicate with a single Growatt MIN-xxxx-TL-XH-US but they are working on fixing that and several other issues. When I first got it a few weeks ago was very disappointed in its lack of functionality on this inverter but I am glad to find him responsive and fixing/adding stuff that should be there
Wow. That's cool. They move fast with update requests.

Back