diy solar

diy solar

Directly power an 240VAC HVAC from the panels (off grid system) conversion to DC?

galstaf

Hey all,

I have an bunch of Santan SSG 240W used panels that I want to use for roofing on an outbuilding. I don't currently have any other power needs in that building so not ready for a full system out there.
I also have an unused Senville 240VAC 24000 BTU inverter minisplit heatpump that never got deployed, so I want to marry the two together... preferably without a bunch of expensive batteries or inverters. The HVAC should not draw more than 1.3kW at peak use. Once it hits temperature, they slow down a lot and will draw only a couple of hundred watts on cooler days.

I know vendors now make direct connect solar PV panel HVAC systems, but not many people carry them and they are 3 times the price of the equivalent AC version. Plus I already have the Senville unit and want to make use of it. Additionally, I saw somewhere if a cloud goes by and drops the power production of the panel the Sig Solar HVAC can take up to 15 minutes to restore itself once the photons are sufficient again (not sure if this is still the case).

It has always seemed a little insane to convert from DC to AC to DC back to AC again to power this heatpump (the heatpump also has an inverter to make 3 phase power for the compressor).
So if I can draw DC direct from the panels and connect it to the HVAC with something relatively simple that would be fantastic!

We will use at least 100 individual PV panels to make this roof, so there will be plenty of potential capacity. Theoretically there should be 24kW of peak power available to power a device that only needs 1.3kW.

I just need the HVAC to run when the sun is strong and then shut down when it is dark (just to keep the building comfortable in the middle of the day)

Questions:
  • Does anyone know what method the AC units designed to be connected to the PV panels directly use to create a stable usable power from them?
  • Does anyone know of a reasonably priced conversion kit that will take Solar PV power and allow a traditional AC powered minisplit to function direct from the panels without an DC to AC inverter?
  • Has anyone done this successfully already and would be willing to share?
  • Anyone have any insights in what combination of parallel and serial connections would best achieve this goal? (Again I can use some or all of the panels.. .their primary use is for roofing)

Screenshot 2024-03-26 23.44.50.pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 23.47.32.png

Last edited:
I have attached a specifications sheet in the PDF... they can operate up to 600VDC with UL compliance, but in reality can go up to 1000VDC. Each panel produces up to 29VDC at 1000W/m2 irradiance.
So it looks like the panels can have 20 panels in series to make a 600VDC output which should produce up to 4.5kW

Attachments

• Santan240WpanelManualSpecifications.pdf
    761 KB · Views: 0
Back