diy solar

diy solar

DIY 600AH Battery Bank

Kspare

Hi, i'm looking for opinions more than help based on others experience as I read the forums and educate.

I am looking to swap out my 2 Lion Energy batteries for 600ah of DIY Lithium.

I currently have a Victron Multi Plus, Cerbo GX, Victron Solar and Victron Shunt.

I'd like to use the Victron BMS to integrate everything together but I do not want to use the victron batteries.

This is for my RV, but looking to scale this up for another project once I learn how to make this all work.

Thanks in Advance!

I currently have a Victron Multi Plus, Cerbo GX, Victron Solar and Victron Shunt.
Nice gear.
I'd like to use the Victron BMS to integrate everything together but I do not want to use the victron batteries.
The Victron BMS is pretty much only for the Victron batteries. I am not sure it could be used for a DIY battery or any other battery for that matter.

Nice gear.

The Victron BMS is pretty much only for the Victron batteries. I am not sure it could be used for a DIY battery or any other battery for that matter.
I've learned that pretty quick lol. So I guess looking for a BMS compatible with the Cerbo.

One solution i've found is the 302 AH Battero Cells, so potentially 2 of those battery banks

Potentially a REC BMS?

If you want battery communications with the Victron Gear, you will need a BMS that can work with the Victron protocols. I do not have a lot of experience trying to do DIY battery coms with Victron, but if you review Andy from the Off-Grid-Garage channel he has done a lot of integration with Victron and his large DIY bank of batteries. https://www.youtube.com/@OffGridGarageAustralia

This is for my RV, but looking to scale this up for another project once I learn how to make this all work.
What battery voltage are you planning? 12V is convenient for a mobile system bu it might be difficult to scale very far.

If you want battery communications with the Victron Gear, you will need a BMS that can work with the Victron protocols. I do not have a lot of experience trying to do DIY battery coms with Victron, but if you review Andy from the Off-Grid-Garage channel he has done a lot of integration with Victron and his large DIY bank of batteries. https://www.youtube.com/@OffGridGarageAustralia

What battery voltage are you planning? 12V is convenient for a mobile system bu it might be difficult to scale very far.
i'll stick to 12V for this project, so 600ah is as large as I want to go. The larger project is for my data center and i'll do 48V for that one. but doing this as a proof of concept and to get a solid understanding of all of this.

For my RV, I have shore power, but my goal is to run it entirely off of solar/battery unless we need to run AC, I was fairly successful with this and my 210ah I have now with my Lion batteries, but I always ran short over night, or with the cloud etc. I calculated that 400ah would be more than enough but looking for reserves, so thats where the 600ah comes from. When I camp off grid, for the most part 300ah would get me through a day, and Id rarely hit 400, I have 1300watts of solar so during the day I should be able to charge up and be good...unless it's hot out, but even then I was able to max out solar and let my gen basically idle while we ran the AC.

For the data center, I have 3 phase 100 amp, so id like to basically run each phase on a 15000watt inverter, to a battery bank. Currently we run alot of UPS's, and the equipment still sees a flash when we go onto UPS power. This way they would never see anything but perfect clean power, as the battery charger would simply turn off until the generator kicks in. I would eventually like to tie in some solar so it would get easier to run as much off solar and less off grid as possible...You can probably see where im going with this.

It will also be nice to get rid of all the lead acid in my UPS's that I have now.

I also wish I had the 24v victron, but that came out just after I got mine, and I didn't quite understand how beneficial 24V would have been. I would have just used one of my lion batteries for my 12v side and ran 600ah for my 24side...oh well!

And then I found this..

Kinda makes it hard to spend the time and money building a battery when I have a shunt already. Wow.

And then I found this..

Kinda makes it hard to spend the time and money building a battery when I have a shunt already. Wow.
Yup..... I don't build my own batteries anymore.

Back